X358 XJR

Moderator: J44EAG

3.8etypephil

X358 XJR

Postby 3.8etypephil » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:51 am

A few days ago, I sold my X350 XJ6, taking a car destined for brother in law in almost complete exchange, valuing the Jag at £2,000, with which I am perfectly happy.
For a while, I have been toying with the idea of an XJR, not previously taking the plunge as it's hard to justify running two supercharged V8s, but then considering that we only live the once as far as we know, I started searching seriously, looking at cars ranging from a little less than £4,000, to around £10,000, excluding all the ridiculously priced dealer cars, the most absurd example of which was (and still is) being offered at some £23,000. I whittled my choice down to an exceptional early X350 with a tad over200,000 miles, in remarkable condition, and the 2008 X358 which I bought, on Saturday 14/10/2017, at more than twice the price of the other car. The decision was swayed by specification; the aluminium dash, heated and cooled seats, the entertainment system (so that the dog can watch his favourite DVDs on long journeys), the full kit in fact, but most of all by the comprehensive history file recording everything from day one, bar refuelling.

There are few small things to do:

The front bumper is desperate for paint.
The tailpipes need a thorough clean & polish, or possibly replacement.
There are a couple of small areas of electrolytic corrosion; n/s/r door in the lower front corner, and o/s screen pillar.
Refurbish the wheels.
Do something about the finish on the calipers. Ideas please gentlemen, and ladies.
Test the speed limiter.

Everything else has been done; new water pumps, coolant change, brake fluid change, new supercharger, new discs and pads all round, and so on, almost ad infinitum.

Photos coming up, If I can persuade the system to accept them.
Phil

2013 XFR
2008 XJR
http://jagchat.net/

J44EAG

Re: X358 XJR

Postby J44EAG » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:56 am

We look forward to seeing what you have aquired, Phil.

As with all second hand cars, there will be work required. Wheel and caliper refinishing can be a DIY job with the correct techniques and materials. High temperature resistant paint is available for the calipers as are decals to retain authenticity. Wheels referb is also a possibility either DIY or via professional companies.

Enjoy your car.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

3.8etypephil

Postby 3.8etypephil » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:00 pm

I spent my working life in the trade and I am pleased to find that these few things are all that need doing (the chap I bought it from is an aerospace design engineer who has clearly maintained the car to aircraft standards). I have a price for the paintwork already; £200 (trade contact) and I'll use another who runs a local refurbishment business for the wheels, caliper decals I will stay with the the original "R" motif, and probably go for black on the bodies for the best heat dissipation. Tailpipes, probably new; they look original so are now nine years old, and have had a fair volume of hot gases pass through. The speed limiter will be tested as I cross Germany on my next trip to Budapest. I will be amazed (and irritated) if it does work; I have never encountered a Jaguar limiter that even dampens the acceleration, much less feels as if one had hit a wall as Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc do.

The system says "file too large" for photos; I'll get the lady wife to resize them when she emerges from her office.
Phil

2013 XFR
2008 XJR

3.8etypephil

Postby 3.8etypephil » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:47 pm

Photos attached:

IMG_1761.jpg
IMG_1747.jpg
IMG_1743.jpg
I think the wing vents are a bit boy racer, so may get Paul to bring them in black when he does the rest of the paint, leaving just the horizontal
bar in "chrome".
Phil

2013 XFR
2008 XJR

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:52 am

I`m green with envy!

That is a nice car. All the extra bits which improved on the already good 350. The de-chromed look takes the pastiche away and the overall impression is rather more dramatic. Essentially, what I did to my 350R.
20170125_153108 (Small).jpg
I agree about the silver wing vents. The units add to the gravitas but the colour contrast is really rather un-necessary. Understatement is what the XJR does best. The Yeha factor comes from watching the astonishment on tail gateing motorway drivers as you disappear into the distance.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

3.8etypephil

Postby 3.8etypephil » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:05 am

Agree entirely; yours looks very classy with no apparent chrome at all.
The performance makes an interesting comparison with our XFR (R-S spec 543 bhp); The XJ has a claimed C400 bhp, and whilst I have yet to have them back to back, passenger impressions are that there is little or no perceptible difference in acceleration. I have to thoroughly read the 3" thick history file which came with it, but one of the most recent jobs was a new supercharger, perhaps it had some enhancement then, or earlier in its life; certainly it is much more accelerative than all of the others I tested. It has a 150 kg weight advantage over the XF, but the XF has a far more sophisticated traction control system, wider rear tyres, and the eight speed gearbox. The XF has been electronically measured for 0 - 150 mph at 20.2 seconds (marginally quicker than an XFR-S, which is 112kgs heavier than the XFR). I have not yet had the opportunity to test the XJ, but automobile-catalog.com suggest 31.9; very respectable, but significantly slower.
Irrespective of the numbers, it is fabulous to drive, feeling indistinguishable from a new car. Yesterday, a colleague christened it the Silent Sledgehammer; silent because it almost is, sledgehammer because he considered the shove in his back akin to being struck by one.

Hope to compare notes at a show or other meeting sometime.

BTW: The jury is still out on the vents; everyone else who has seen it recommends keeping it original. Decisions, decisions.

Have you had yours on a dynamometer? If so, with what results?
Phil

2013 XFR
2008 XJR

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:29 am

No, not been on the dyno yet, Phil.

Gerald Morten at Viezu Berkshire opinions that I should expect at least 550 FWHP and possibly more. However figures are a tad accademic as the reality of the situation is that the car now goes with improved gusto, much improved torque and enough grunt to lay two tyre rubber trails for at least a quarter mile. I left two trails at Brooklands for half the length of Test Hill. I don`t make a habit of this kind of daftness, but on that occasion, I really was determined to be the fastest car up that hill on the day and I was!

My mods regime is now at an end. One has to consider gearbox longevity. I`ve achieved what I set out to create. The result is a car with nice running characteristics for general everyday driving combined with scorching, ballistic performance which is made instantly available for very rapid acceleration. In every day use, that part of the performance envelope is never used...but it is good to have around for the occasional squirt. Considerable restraint has to be used during long distance travelling. Unless using cruise control, it is all to easy to find oneself travelling at licience loosing speeds. The car travels with no effort at all which is the reason I bought it. I`m just as enthusiastic about it as the day I bought it.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

3.8etypephil

Postby 3.8etypephil » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:31 pm

I look forward to seeing it sometime. I also use the cruise on both cars, mostly as a licence preserver on all roads not subject to the National speed limit, there I use the throttle, and my brains.
Phil

2013 XFR
2008 XJR