Nearly There!

Moderator: J44EAG

snaefell

Nearly There!

Postby snaefell » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:40 am

OK, hi guys,another newbie who hasn't quite got his X350 yet but due to pick it up this coming Friday,sorry but this is another ramble of sorts but hopefully some of you may find bits of it at least of some interest!
I first fell in love with the X350 before I really knew what it was,watching an American TV series where people sold off the contents of lock ups one character called Barry was shown driving this beautiful car,obviously a Jaguar but it was sometime before I figured what model,meantime,& to this day,my Wife & I referred to any we saw as Barry Jags!
I first started seriously looking to buy some months ago,quite shocked at how prices seem to jump from November 2016 to 6 months later,mileage was obviously key,one stipulation I set was that it should have a sunroof,assuming that most would have,how wrong can you be (!), it must be a V8 but I really didn't want the supercharged model.
I soon realised that an X350 for sale with a sunroof & below my target of 90000 miles was not easy to find,those that I did find were a long way from my home in Cheshire,the first I tried to buy was from a private buyer in Slough,the second from a classic car & bike dealer in Basingstoke & both XJRS,.
I had already decided,for my own peace of mind,to have an inspection done when I thought I had a likely purchase,this proved easier said than done,an AA member for many years made them the first choice,booked online one Sunday,on the Monday morning I get a phone call from the AA to say they couldn't inspect the car as it was 'too fast',similar problems occurred with MVI & Dekar before a guy called Malcolm from National Vehicle Inspections saved my sanity by taking on the job & agreeing to inspect the vehicle the next day,he rang me when he had finished (the inspection took about 6 hours,he was very thorough)to tell me his findings & sent me loads of pics which sadly showed that the vehicle was a mess,despite looking superb in the photos in the ad,even more sad the second vehicle in Basingstoke turned out to have even more issues,I consider the inspections to be well worth the money having saved mess a lot of time & money travelling for nothing & given mess plenty of clues of what to look for.
Third time lucky,feeling pretty down the day after the second inspections section I found another car,much closer to home which I rushed out to see,no sunroof but a beautiful blue colour,superb condition & only done 35000 miles,result,hopefully I will be getting to see lots of you guys at Jaguar meets & events',Friday seems a long way off at the moment!!!

BrianG

Re: Nearly There!

Postby BrianG » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:45 am

Welcome to the X350 group. Don't keep us in suspense! 35,000 miles is good but what is it: 3 litre V6, 3.5 V8, 4.2 V8 :D (or even a 2.7 diesel)?
Brian
X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey

ptjs1

Postby ptjs1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:52 am

snaefell,

Glad that you've hopefully found the car you like. We could perhaps have saved you some time and told you that non-suppercharged cars with sunroofs would be very difficult to find! Owners just didn't buy them.
Also, if you need an inspection, get one of the club advisers to do it. The advantage of being a club member! I'd suggest they know a lot more about x35s and what to look for than a standard inspection service company

Anyway, I hope the car is all you desire. Good x350s are a great drive. Is it a n/a 4.2?
Good luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

snaefell

Postby snaefell » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:45 pm

It is actually a 3.5,shown in the ad as a 3.6 Sport,at the end of the day I have been longing to own a V8 for some years but have been making do(?!) with a number of V6 Mondeos,I actually still have one which has had a lot of money spent on it & only sees light of day for shows,they have been great but I really wanted a V8 Jaguar,after nearly 30 years of cars with a sunroof my latest Mondeo hasn't & I have really missed it,but it is a beautiful Jaguar,I am not looking for huge performance any more,I'm past that stage,this should fit the bill nicely,thanks for your responses guys!

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi,

The 350 is a fabulous car especially in any V8 form. I would have trouble replacing mine. The car is a hard act to follow.

Take a good look on this site at some of the material we have compliled. Some of it is pretty intensive and detailed and touches work that many people would shudder to attempt. As a car, the 350 makes an excellent DIY prospect. None of it is that complicated and there is plenty of help and advice available in this X350 section of the Forum.

Enjoy your car. You know if it is right if it exites you each time you get behind the wheel.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

snaefell

Postby snaefell » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Cheers Mike,From my short drive & what I have read the X350 certainly seems to impress the people that drive them,the sheer size of the car did make me consider the XK but after trying a few I decided that even though they alsoget great reviews(best Jaguar Coupe since the E Type was one claim) for one they were a bit tight for my 6 & a half foot,sixteen stone frame but also the dash area around the SATNAV all seem rather cheap & nasty especially compared to the X350,there really was no contest!

davidr

Postby davidr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:30 pm

You won't regret having a 350. I had one and it was in many ways the best car I've ever had (and I've had quite a few - classic and modern). There are only 2 cars that I really regret parting with. One was a lovely SAAB 900 SE that had so much character that both my wife and I were misty eyed when we'd part exchanged it against a nice Volvo V70 T5 and we were really sad as we drove away in our nice new car!
And then there was my 2006 X350 TDVi. Wow! What a car! It went off to become a movie star (Spectre) but I'd have it back in a flash! There's hardly a day goes by when the whimsy of getting another X350 doesn't cross my mind. It will happen again one day.
So enjoy your car - it will be one of the best you ever had! Perfect combination of really clever engineering and "proper Jag" styling.
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Conv. (shown on the JEC stand at NEC Nov 2015)
2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

BrianG

Postby BrianG » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 am

Aha! So you are now a fellow 3.5 Sport owner. The sports suspension pack is fairly firm (not to everyone's liking) and should make it handle as well as an XJR. The 3.5 is no sluggard in the performance stakes, managing 0-60 in about 7 seconds and 150mph top speed. 3.5s are fairly rare, and to find one with such low mileage is unusual. The big worry with any old low mileage car is that they have been left unserviced over several years. Some owners use mileage as the key to servicing - 'it's not due yet' - but engine oil degrades with time as well as use, so it's worth an oil service every year on age alone, if not miles. I would look at an oil and filter change as the first job, unless the history says otherwise. The main thing is to use it regularly, but avoid short trips: this keeps all manner of nasties at bay. I hope you enjoy driving yours as much as I do mine.
Brian
X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey