Clock & clock battery

Moderator: PaulCox

BookerME

Clock & clock battery

Postby BookerME » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:02 pm

Please excuse my intrusion into your “big boy’s group” - I’ve only got one of those ‘little’ ones, a Daimler 420 – but it does have a 'square' clock on the dash that I think was also fitted in the Mark X / 420G - and not one in the rev counter.

Has anyone got any experience replacing the battery? I can see them for sale on various sites. The issue I have is that I don’t have the original battery holder and cable fitting (C26790) nor an old battery (C27103). When I opened it all up to take a look someone in the dim-distant past has done a proper bodge-job.

I wondered, apart from trying to replace the bodge with ‘original’ parts, is there a work-around using 21st century battery technology?
I read on one site that using the wrong battery (slightly too much voltage) will make the clock run far too fast.

Cheers, Mac.
Current vehicle. 2002 XKR convertible.
In recovery. 1969 Daimler 420 auto.
Previous outings. 1966 MKII 3.4 auto. 1966 3.8 S Type auto

DaveNeedham

Re: Clock & clock battery

Postby DaveNeedham » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:34 am

Thinking back to battery technology then I would hazard a guess that it’s a simple dry cell (zinc carbon) nominal 1.5 volts so I would try with an AA or AAA and see if it still works or keeps time!
Are there any markings on the movement that could be used to identify it?

Dave

DaveNeedham

Postby DaveNeedham » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 am

Actually digging around it’s a mercury battery 1.35v so not far off.
As mercury is now band the modern battery replacement must be something like silver oxide.
Reading one of the sites specific to those car clocks they were throw away items anyway. They can be rebuilt using modern technology and be powered by either a stand alone battery or be powered by the car battery.

BookerME

Postby BookerME » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 am

Thanks Dave,
I'll try the DIY approach and see what happens. It's not the end of the world, there's plenty of other things on the car to keep me occupied, it's just I'd like to see it working instead of just being sat there permanently showing 10 to 2!
Current vehicle. 2002 XKR convertible.
In recovery. 1969 Daimler 420 auto.
Previous outings. 1966 MKII 3.4 auto. 1966 3.8 S Type auto