Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Moderator: XjRestorations

XJ_Driver

Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby XJ_Driver » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:35 am

Hi folks,

I'm returning to this board having recently purchased an XJ3.4 (Se.2), although I also run an X308R as my daily driver and had previously owned a Se.1 XJ6 for more than 20 years up until May 2017.

Anyway, I have a question concerning ride height: my Series 2 sits conspicuously high at the back, yet to my eyes it doesn't look abnormally low at the front. Having checked underneath I can see that all four rear road springs look new; the fronts look much older, and are quite possibly the originals. I have checked the tyre pressures to ensure that these are correct.
20191005_151136.jpg
Could it be that the front springs are worn, or possibly that the rear springs are actually too strong for this application? Are there different rear road spring lengths/strengths available for the Series XJ? On the road the car handles well, although when stationary you can sense from the driver's seat that it's sitting high at the back.

Any suggestions on the best way to address this issue?

Many thanks.
Best regards,
John.

1998 XJR8
1979 XJ3.4 (Se.2)

piman

Re: Series 2 ride height - sitting high at the back

Postby piman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:08 am

Hello John,

springs tend to ride high when first replaced and then settle down with a few miles, I would first run the car for a month or so and see if it settles? I would also think the front will be low if the original springs are now worn. I'm not really familiar with that model Jaguar so opinions for other owners about ride height would be useful?

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I.,2.5 X Type Estate, 564 Hymer Motorhome

3.8etypephil

Postby 3.8etypephil » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:49 am

The rear looks about right, but the front rather low from my memory of Series XJs. The front springs may be worn, the adjustment shims missing, or even the subframe corroded and sagging.
Phil

2013 XFR
2008 XJR
http://jagchat.net/

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:58 am

You can check the front ride height with a tape measure. With the car full of fuel and correct tyre pressures, press the front bumper down and release it slowly. Then, lift the front bumper and release it slowly. The distance from the centre of a headlamp to the ground should measure a minimum of 24 and 5/8" (611mm in new money). Packing rings can be added to the front springs to raise the car. Each 1/8" packing ring raises the ride height by 5/16". The limit is 5 packing rings this number divided between locations above and below the spring. A car which needs more than 5 rings requires new springs.
The rear ride height is checked by similarly measuring the distance below the plate (its flat face) below the differential to the ground. This distance should be 7.45" plus or minus 1/4". Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

XJ_Driver

Postby XJ_Driver » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks all - advice appreciated.

Alec - I will run the car for a bit to see if it settles onto its new rear springs - and they do look very new!

Mike - I shall get my tape measure out and check those measurements.

Phil - I'll also take a closer look at the front suspension to check for any corroded / broken components.

Ultimately, with International Spares Day coming up later this month I'm just trying to get an idea what parts I should be looking out for.

But thanks again!
Best regards,
John.

1998 XJR8
1979 XJ3.4 (Se.2)