Electric window motors ser 1

Moderator: XjRestorations

jagmanuk

Electric window motors ser 1

Postby jagmanuk » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:52 pm

In a series 1 XJ6 Daimler SWB Is it possible to replace the window motor (rectangular shaped) with a series 2 motor (round shape)? it would seem to make sense as it is only a motor and the door is the same basic shape and construction. I have a broken drivers door motor which only goes down due to one of the spade tab connectors which has rotted through and become detached. Thanks in advance for help

jagmanuk

Re: Electric window motors ser 1

Postby jagmanuk » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:09 pm

Well I replaced the motor with no issues (regarding fitting) before I secured everything properly. Now my mistake was I neglected to take any photos before removing the wiring and disconnecting the motor. Having put the new motor on and connecting it up I tried the switch - no joy either way and no clicks. Checked for power on the two wires to the motor and found power on one wire with the switch up and in the other with the switch down. The only way I could get a response from the motor was connect one of the two wires to earth then the motor worked. So suspected the switch, stripped the switch panel and swapped the wiring from the faulty window to the opposite working one but again no joy. Put it all back and stripped the passenger door to look at the wiring but ran out of time as I need to get the motor out of the door to see it.

mike020150

Re: Electric window motors ser 1

Postby mike020150 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:29 am

Series 1 and series 2 cars are wired differently. When the windows are operated, Series 1 cars earth the motor via a separate wire from the motor. Series 2 cars earth the motor via the window switch which, according to the wiring diagram contains a diode to keep the current flowing in the right direction. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S