Rust Bubbles around headlight

Moderator: XjRestorations

3.4XJ6series2

Rust Bubbles around headlight

Postby 3.4XJ6series2 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Hi - I have got a case of the dreaded rust bubbles around the nearside headlight. I would like to know if there is a cheap and cheerful way of rectifying this or if it's a case of replacing the whole wing. I have got a spare wing (purchased in expectation). The paintwork is going a bit flat over the rest of the car and if I am going to fit a new wing and respray it, it would seem to be the best time to respray the whole car. However, I would like to avoid this expense at the moment! I was out in the car over the weekend, and sitting outside the pub, paint gleaming, chrome shining she looked beautiful - just the bubbles around the headlight to spoil the view. Hence if anyone knows of a simple quick way to make it look better and tide me over until I can do the whole respray it would be much appreciated. Also, if I have to replace the wing anyone know what is involved?

Cheers

Alex
1961 Mk II 3.4 litre manual, opalescent silver blue
1999 Daimler 4.0, seafrost green

almcl

Postby almcl » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:27 pm

Several options come to mind, but whatever you do to the wing to repair it, you're going to have to paint it, aren't you?

To remove wing. Bolts along the top edge, you can see. Two under the leading edge of the door, two behind the splash panel/stone guard. Three on the radiator vertical post. Two going to the front valence. One for the bumper support. Light cluster leads, headlamp washer leads (if you have them.)

Then just lift away.

Simples.

If you don't fancy all that, there is a 'nose repair section'. I've not tried one of these but it looks as if you need to be a champion welder and body solder merchant to bring off a halfway decent job.

I have seen a very convincing bodge paste job, held together for almost three years before cracking up.

A new or replacement wing is about the only route worth bothering with for me, getting the time for it is quite another matter!
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '05 X type Est 2.0D - '13 XF 2.2D Sportbrake

3.4XJ6series2

Postby 3.4XJ6series2 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:16 am

Hi Al,

Thanks for the advice. Yep, I will have to paint something but as opposed to the whole wing which will then stand out against the rest of the car with its flatter paint, I was thinking of just a small area around the headlight. Presumably the bolts you mention are completely siezed and rusted solid? ;-)

When putting a new wing on what's the most effective way of rust proofing the area to stop it happening again - is it just a case of plenty of waxoyl?

Cheers

Alex
1961 Mk II 3.4 litre manual, opalescent silver blue
1999 Daimler 4.0, seafrost green

almcl

Postby almcl » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Presumably the bolts you mention are completely siezed and rusted solid? ;-)

You might get lucky with the bolts, I have a couple of times but eventually I resorted to stainless. Some of them are the 'thread cutter' sort that remake the threads as they screw in and out. Mind, some are quite awkward to access and this and a bit of corrosion can add to the time spent dismantling.

When putting a new wing on what's the most effective way of rust proofing the area to stop it happening again - is it just a case of plenty of waxoyl?

Not sure. I've tried undershield, stone chip, waxoyl and combinations. A friend who runs a body repair shop (quite a high tech one, with fluid floor paint booths, water based spray systems &c) recommends engine oil, would you believe? His big Healey, E type and Porsche all look pretty good so maybe there's something in it. Or maybe he just starts with better cars than me!
Al McL
'93 XJS 4.0 - '05 X type Est 2.0D - '13 XF 2.2D Sportbrake

JA_Bucks

Re: Rust Bubbles around headlight

Postby JA_Bucks » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:26 am

My Series I has had good filler repair done to both headlight surrounds, over 20 years ago, but soon will be the time to properly sort this out. Are the repair panels still available? I've got 2 reasonable Series II wings and have 2 thoughts on these.
1. Modify the lower part to suit Series I lights and bumper and fit the complete wing, but then the wing profile will be Series II not Series I.
2. Cut the headlight surrounds out of the Series II wings and fit to the Series I wings.
Any thoughts please.
Jeff.
Jeff
XJ6 Series I

Tintin

Postby Tintin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi Jeff

Rust is beginning to come through mine too - so I am collecting up the necessary panels over time. Last weekend I bought a good second hand series 1 o/s wing at Stoneleigh. I had the option of the repair panel too, but the wing was a proper factory unit and the repair panel, although new, looked very rough. The cost was a factor too - the wing being less than £150 and the repair panel £45 - by the time you've cut and welded, no contest!

If you have time, I would keep looking for good second hand series 1 wings, unless you want to fork out for the eye-wateringly expensive new part (£1,500 or thereabouts, I think).

Good luck.

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

JA_Bucks

Postby JA_Bucks » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:36 pm

Thanks Robbie,
I had no idea good series I panels would still be around. I'll certainly keep a look out now.
Jeff
Jeff
XJ6 Series I