Series 3 sunroof problems

Moderator: XjRestorations

CliveRothwell

Series 3 sunroof problems

Postby CliveRothwell » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:46 pm

So, having replaced the rusty old sunroof with a sound secondhand one, we find that the roof catches on the strengthening ribs on the underside of the roof panel near the rear of the aperture. It has been repainted twice now to counteract the scoring, rubbing down to prevent paint build up. The strengthening ribs have been filed back to relieved the narrow gap but to no avail.

Are we - me and the paintshop guys, missing something obvious? Our next plan is to remove the headlining and lower the whole cassette by .5mm to give greater clearance. If you know of a better solution, please let me know as I am beginning to out-stay my welcome.

Thanks as ever.

Clive

Brakebuster

Re: Series 3 sunroof problems

Postby Brakebuster » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 pm

i think there were ' shims ' that could be used for ' fine adjustment ' and possibly , just possibly, the car has relaxed since coming off the production line taking away that fine tolerance,

so i think you are following the right course of action to adjust it on its mountings , you may just get away with loosening, and sliding in a packer, rather than fully dropping it ??

BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2004 2.1V6 X-Type Saloon in platinum silver for the good wife
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

used to have
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8 in Seafrost

CliveRothwell

Postby CliveRothwell » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:50 pm

Thank you once again................
Clive

CliveRothwell

Postby CliveRothwell » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Yup, this is the one that will beat me. I just cannot risk scoring the paint again so I have disconnected the wires to the motor. At some point next summer, I'll look at it again but the weather has won for now.