Boot locked! XJ6 Series 3 1985

Moderator: XjRestorations

CliveRothwell

Boot locked! XJ6 Series 3 1985

Postby CliveRothwell » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:49 pm

OK - it seems that the boot lock rod has become disconnected and we cannot open the boot lid.
The lock operates but the latch onto the body shell remains firmly closed.
I've spent hours now looking at how to gain access to the contents of the boot but no luck.

Does anybody know how best to proceed please? I'm expecting to have to drill / saw an access panel behind the number plate.

Thanks

Clive

mike020150

Re: Boot locked! XJ6 Series 3 1985

Postby mike020150 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:23 am

Hi Clive,
What a bummer! I suspect I know the answers but let me test my logic on the problem. Looking at the parts book, I'm presuming that the lock barrel simply prevents an external latch from moving. So, if the key turns normally, in the unlocked position that should allow the external latch to move freely. Does the latch feel 'normal' (with some resistance) or does it feel disconnected? If it feels normal, I would suspect the key barrel and be prepared to sacrifice it by screwing in a self-tapper and using a slide hammer to pull the barrel apart. then, it should be possible to move the latch. If the linkage has come apart, drilling a hole behind the number plate will be the only solution. Good luck! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

CliveRothwell

Postby CliveRothwell » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Your comments all add up to the truth Mike. The lock unlocks/ locks normally but the latch does not feel normal and so we both feel that drilling will be the only course of action. I'm hoping to get an endoscope through the number plate light fitment aperture to see what can be seen. If the rod has come off at the bottom, then we wont even be able to pull the rod up to unlatch the latch!

CliveRothwell

Postby CliveRothwell » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Well, it's open. We bit the bullet this afternoon and armed with a laptop to show Jaguar Classic Parts and Ebay to look at the real thing compared to what we could see with an endoscope through a 6mm hole that was drilled in the centre of the number plate, we spotted the problem. The vertical rod had come off due to the retaining clip being worn / fitted the wrong way round. Two 10mm holes were drilled just off centre to the left some 4mm from the bottom edge of the boot lid. The holes were enlarged to make a single elongated horizontal hole. Checking through the enlarged hole with an LED torch, I was able to position a screwdriver to flick the latch towards the left. It unopened first try. With the clip fitted the most secure way round, I then made doubly sure that it could not come off again by adding two small cable ties as this failure has caused so much annoyance!

Once open, I was able to return my wife's favourite kitchen knife, spare sugar flowers for our daughter's wedding cake and the 4 umbrellas that were needed at the wedding last month!

Grrrr

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:41 am

Congratulations! Talk about the annoying little things in life... Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

PaulGover

Postby PaulGover » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:37 am

Once open, I was able to return my wife's favourite kitchen knife
You're supposed to use a drill to make the holes in the boot lid, not kitchen implements ;-) My wife frequently reminds me (usually when I have a cylinder head in the oven at gas mark 5).
1981 XJ6 Series III basket case
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2008 XJ TDVi

CliveRothwell

Postby CliveRothwell » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Thanks Paul - I'll try to remember that in future!