XJ6 series 3 3.4 vacuum actuator solenoid

Moderator: XjRestorations

CliveRothwell

XJ6 series 3 3.4 vacuum actuator solenoid

Postby CliveRothwell » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:46 pm

1985 car non- air con. Success so far:
Blower motors now both work.
Screen diaphragms both work off the centre console control switch.
Both blower blend flaps work independently of the vacuum system using a mitivac vacuum test unit but the right hand blower blend flap will not operate when plumbed up with the full car system. Thus, the car won't deliver blower powered air on the right hand side.

Using the mitivac tester, the system does not hold a vacuum on blue pipes when the centre console control switch is selected to the footwell position. This suggests the issue lies with the vacuum actuator solenoid (being the next piece in line with the blue pipe.

SO, what does the vacuum actuator solenoid look like, where is it (I suspect to the left of the radio) and is it electrically powered?
Thanks in advance as always,
Clive

mike020150

Re: XJ6 series 3 3.4 vacuum actuator solenoid

Postby mike020150 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi Clive,
Playing with the heater or air conditioner in these cars is akin to practising black magic but from the info I have, I believe you are right on both counts. The vacuum actuator is electrically powered and should be located on the LH side. When I get round to it shortly, I too will be working in the same area as I am going to replace the amplifier unit for my aircon system. There are more fun jobs than working on the heater on XJSs and series cars! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

CliveRothwell

Re: XJ6 series 3 3.4 vacuum actuator solenoid

Postby CliveRothwell » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:01 am

Thanks Mike - I knew somebody out there had an answer! Good luck with yours................