Greenstuff yellowstuff or redstuff

Moderator: XjRestorations

Tintin

Greenstuff yellowstuff or redstuff

Postby Tintin » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:37 am

I am virtually rebuilding the brakes on my S1 4.2 and have arrived at the point of choosing pads.

What I am trying to achieve is greater stopping power for less pedal effort. I am renewing the servo, calipers and solid discs with standard replacements having decided to stay away from 4 pot calipers and "brake upgrade kits". I am a steady driver but the solid discs do not dissipate heat as efficiently as the vented type.

I am presently thinking about EBC yellowstuff or greenstuff - the green looks good, but the yellow seems to have better stopping power at higher temperatures.

Anyone have any experience of these pads?

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

RichardSEL

Re: Greenstuff yellowstuff or redstuff

Postby RichardSEL » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:58 am

Used Red Stuff with vented discs but same calipers on my Passat (2.0L tFSI stage 1 to 236bhp).
From new they squealed until fully bedded in.
And there was more dust -- but stopping was now sharper than standard OEM pads

*Update 10/XII -- Standard pads for that car were TRW. First set I bought were from main dealer, checked the price for the second set and they were cheaper than after market stores**
Last edited by RichardSEL on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L
+others I'd prefer to forget 8)
Current: '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

davidr

Postby davidr » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:15 am

I used Greenstuff on my V12 XJ-S and was happy with them. Braking was good, feel was good and the amount of dust reduced versus OEM. As I understand, as you go through Yellow to Red the more you get to "racing" feel which may not be what you want on your lovely refined XJ6!
I think you will get the improved braking you want if you combine Greenstuff pads with EBC's own discs as they are made to work together effectively.
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Conv. (shown on the JEC stand at NEC Nov 2015)
2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

Tintin

Postby Tintin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:27 am

I think you will get the improved braking you want if you combine Greenstuff pads with EBC's own discs as they are made to work together effectively.
Interesting. Any idea what is it about the EBC discs that match the pads better? (I have already bought the discs - and they aren't EBC!).

On your V12 did you change the discs or use the greenstuff with the old discs to get the improvement?

The EBC choice is:- Bluestuff (race formula); Greenstuff for "hot hatches and sports saloons in sprited driving"; Ultimax (daily driver high friction pads in urban driving); Yellowstuff (where stopping power is the prime requirement) - isn't it always?! Redstuff isn't listed for the S1 XJ6. Difficult to see through all the sales hype and make a choice!

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:08 pm

I have run my V12 coupe on Greenstuff pads with Jaguar discs for some time. The pedal bite proved better than previous pads. For normal motoring, they have proved fine. However, for track days or a super enjoyable trip at high speed down an alpine pass, the rears will fade just like Jaguar's originals. Consequently, I have moved to testing Redstuff on the rear. Thus far, I haven't really stressed the Redstuff pads nor have I noticed any braking imbalance during ordinary sane motoring although it is my intention replace the fronts with Redstuff when next they need changing. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S