Service indicator reset tip

Moderator: J44EAG

PaulGover

Service indicator reset tip

Postby PaulGover » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:07 pm

If you find the process to reset the service interval counter doesn't work, this may help.

If you go too long between dealer services, or your dealer forgets to reset the counter, your car will come up with a yellow warning light and a message "Service due xxxx" (xxxx being the miles) when you turn on the ignition. As is well documented, there's a sequence of holding the trip computer reset and trip display selection buttons while turning the engine on to reset the counter.

It didn't work for me, and maybe that's why the dealer hadn't done it last service. Anyway, I noticed that I had switched off the car with the Satnav display showing. When I switched it back on again, it asked the question about safe use, and I wondered if this was voiding the sequence of button presses. So I selected the main menu instead of Navigation, and switched off the ignition. Then I tried the reset process again, and this time the car displayed the correct Resetting and then Reset messages.
1981 XJ6 Series III basket case
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2008 XJ TDVi

J44EAG

Re: Service indicator reset tip

Postby J44EAG » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:00 pm

Useful to many of us. Thanks.

Could you please perhaps explain what normal sequence has to occur to reset the service interval function?

Have to admit I`ve personally never carried out a reset....I didn`t even know there was one....but I like many only read the Owners Manual when something goes wrong!

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

PaulGover

Postby PaulGover » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:36 pm

With the ignition OFF, press and HOLD the trip computer clear/reset button on the control pad to the right of the steering column (the one that also lets you select A or B trip readings).

Switch the ignition ON - that's two steps round, so that the next step would actually start the engine. But don't start the engine. Note that, as above, if you have SatNav built in, and it was selected when you turned the engine off last time, I found it comes up with a question which blocks the reset sequence. In that case, release the button, select something other than SatNav on the centre console, switch off, and start over.

Release the trip computer button, and now press and HOLD the trip computer display cycling button at the end of the left hand control stalk.

Press and HOLD the clear/reset button again.

You should now be holding two buttons. The information display in the speedo should say "RESETTING", and after about 10 seconds, "RESET COMPLETE" or something similar.

Release the buttons and switch off.

Note that the all the steps up to the RESETTING message need to be completed within 2 to 5 seconds. It helps to have three hands or be left-handed.

It's probably best to do this after an oil change or dealer service even if they ought to have done it themselves. According to the handbook service interval is normally 15,000 miles (for a diesel car, dunno about petrol) but the counter is supposed to be able to detect heavy usage that would reduce that, and react accordingly. I'd guess high engine temperatures might trigger the reduction, so the counter is doing more than just nag (and/or creating income for the dealers/service agent).
1981 XJ6 Series III basket case
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2008 XJ TDVi

iRS

Postby iRS » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi Paul

This is good info and very interesting, but do you know if it applies to all cars or perhaps just to diesels or may be 358's?
I've done a lot of miles and serviced my car myself and haven't as yet seen the warning.

Thanks
Roger S
Aberdeenshire
XJS FORUM ASSISTANT COORDINATOR

Early E
1976 XJ-S - original factory manual. Currently in many pieces.
X350 - 2005 Super V8
1962 MGB

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:14 pm

Like Roger, whose car is of similar MY 04/05 X350, I have also never seen a service reset light appear in 30k miles of use. Do the early cars perhaps not have the facility?

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

BrianG

Postby BrianG » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:56 am

Having had a diesel X350 for a while before deciding it had to go, I believe this "service due" message relates only to diesel models. I have never seen it in 45,000 miles of driving my petrol V8. On diesel models it is part of the "oil quality" system fitted to guard against rising / excessive sump oil level, which can result from dilution with diesel fuel from short trips and aborted DPF regeneration cycles. I found it would get triggered after as little as 4000 miles; resetting would only keep it off for a further 1500 miles or so, requiring a complete oil and filter change to fix it completely.

I know we have some satisfied diesel owners on here, but I found it far too complicated and prone to problems. Oh, and the folklore of leaving the sump level well below the max mark on the dipstick, might gain more 'headroom' before the warning gets triggered, but does not solve the problem as the dilution still takes place but in a reduced volume of engine oil, risking major bearing failure. I could not wait to get back to a petrol model!
Brian
X350 3.5 V8 Sport Premium in Midnight / Ivory
Previous XJs:
X350 2.7 TDVi in Westminster Blue / Barley
X308 4.0 V8 in Meteorite / Warm Charcoal
X300 3.2 in Spruce / Barley
XJ40 3.2 Sport in Gunmetal / Saville Grey

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:14 am

A true ticking bomb is the diesel. Great while they are going well. An expensive nightmare when they are not.

How well I remember the last X350 seminar in Stoke on Trent. I recall that out of the 36 owners present, 24 were diesel boys. After lunch the diesel specific Q & A with David Marks started. After an hour, I`d had enough....how many ways could there possibly be to bring this 2.7D motor to a halt?! Millions, by all counts. Then the "How much has it cost me?" competition began. I couldn`t believe what some of these guys had shelled out to attempt to keep their diesels going. Thousands of pounds had changed hands with garages. One fellow said he had spent getting on for £13K and the car still wasn`t right!!!!!!! That rather blows a hole in the so called sense of running a diesel.

Like Brian, the petrol V8 has served me well. I can deal with for most issues myself. It isn`t often I need garage assistance. The V8 has so far proved bulletproof. The V6D has been described by Rob as "fragile". It must be. The front end of Rob`s diesel crank dropped off whilst sitting in traffic on the A6. Ask Rob yourself if you disbelieve this story. The break occurred forward of the No1 main bearing and the broken piece bashed its way through the front timing cover. Dead engine for ever. Totally beyond economic repair. I can do without that nonsensical liability!

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

davidr

Postby davidr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:34 pm

Typical small- minded anti-diesel prejudice Mr K. These cars were built to do consistent high mileages as an every day exec express. They will do that with speed, refinement and economy that V8 or even V6 owners can only dream of.
When they move into the second hand market where gentlemen of a certain age potter down to Sainsbury's once a week and complain that their car isn't suited to the work it was never designed for!
The diesel X350 I had was the best car I ever had and I bitterly regret selling it!
XJS FORUM COORDINATOR
1996 XJS Celebration Conv. (shown on the JEC stand at NEC Nov 2015)
2001 XKR Convertible

Previously enjoyed!
1989 XJ-S V12 Coupe. 2006 XJ TDVi Sovereign. 1995 XJ6 3.2. 2013 XF 2.2d. 2009 X Type 2.0d Sovereign estate

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:48 pm

You rose to my bait, Mr R.

If the end of the crank had broken off, would it still have been a great car? All things are subjective.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR