Methanol Injection...Another project perhaps?

Moderator: J44EAG

PTR200Jag

Re: Methanol Injection...Another project perhaps?

Postby PTR200Jag » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:52 am

Enjoyed seeing the look of surprise on my nephews face as I tipped a top up mix from four, two litre milk containers into the tank and told him it was lemonade! This XJR runs on alcho-pops!!

Mike
Should have told him it was a "Back to the Future" engine... :roll:
XK8 MY2002

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:29 pm

A post installation update after a thousand miles of injection use.

After just a couple of days use, the car bucked its ideas up hugely when running at below 6psi supercharger pressure when driven around town.I noted a massive improvement in engine response from pick up from a standing start and in general around town use. I put that down to the steam cleaning effect of the water/methanol mix which must have cleaned the intercooler brick internals, the IAT2 air temp sensor, the head inlet tracts, inlet valves, combustion chambers and piston rings of general carbon and baked oil. With that also noted was increasing blackening of the oil.

I changed the oil just four months ago after I had the Terraclean operation performed and the subsequent installation of the methanol kit. Since the Terraclean, just 2300 miles have been covered with 1000 miles of it then with the methanol kit on line. Last Sunday, I decided to give the XJR a very early oil and filter change. This included dumping a can of Wynns Engine Flush in the oil and running at idle for twenty minutes before draining. I was astonished at the appearance of the dropped oil. Seriously black or what! More like oil that had covered 10,000 miles!!

So new oil and my favourite K&N HP1014 oil filter installed. I wonder what the effect will be now? Will the oil now stay cleaner for longer than previously noted, or will it continually begin to blacken quickly again due to the continued cleaning actions of the water/meth kit? Interesting times ahead. What ever happens, I at least know that carbon and oil crud is being held well in suspension in the oil and that the oil I am using is doing its job ie keeping crud in suspension.

The K&N HP 1014 filter is currently available at a rock bottom price of £9.50 from Eurocarparts (Carparts4U) via ebay with free next day delivery. Great value, state of the art filtration media and anti-drain back valve as here.
1a.jpg
I`m using Wilko up to Jaguar spec, 5W-30 fully synthetic oil at what must be the keenest price around. Just £16 for 5 litres. That is around £5 cheaper than the equivalent Halfords brand. I make that around £23 for the 7 litres of oil, plus £9.50 for the filter making the total cost of the oil change around £32. Hardly expensive, is it? I don`t begrudge a penny of it.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:19 pm

Now having covered around four and a half thousand miles since the last oil change, the colour of the oil has changed from fresh yellow to a mild orange with still no sign of blackening. Rather different to the gloopy black mess I removed following a Terraclean, Wynns Engine Flush and the installation of the injection kit. It would appear I now have a nice internally clean engine.....something I couldn`t have hoped to have achieved without the water/methanol system installed. The steam cleaning effect has got internal engine cleanliness under control.

Two articles have now appeared in our magazine about this installation. Both may be viewed via our online magazine facility. The "magazine" button can be found in the list above the photograph and club logo. Select the June 2017 No 6 issue for Part 1 and the July 2017 No 7 issue for Part Two or click the links here:

https://jec.org.uk/magazine/vol-33-no-06

https://jec.org.uk/magazine/vol-33-no-07

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR