Supercharger drive coupling upgrade Eaton112 equiped V8R

Moderator: J44EAG

J44EAG

Supercharger drive coupling upgrade Eaton112 equiped V8R

Postby J44EAG » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:57 pm

Applicable to all V8R or straight six earlier (X300) model Jaguars, Lawson Smith at Powerhouse Automotive is able to supply an up-rated drive shock coupling for cars equipped with Eaton M90 or M112 superchargers.
20160308_160440 (Small).jpg
This coupling is a beefed up replacement for the OE unit which can be somewhat short lifed. Age and mileage can take its toll. Failure of the coupling can be easily heard as a pronounced knocking from the rear end of the input snout housing. This replacement has an elastic type core to absorb drive shocks and loading. The drive cushion material is totally encased in a green nylon plastic outer case which I assume helps to contain the inner part and prevent break up. Reasonably priced at around £25 plus VAT and small postage charge. Phone Lawson to discuss your precise needs. A great chap he is too. The web site is also well worth a look.

Powerhouse specialize in the supply of JLR/Eaton supercharger parts and also offer charger re-porting, modification of drive snouts to accept super small pulleys, as well as being able to rebuild superchargers to an owners specification. Help and advice is freely given.

For those of you running motor cycles, Lawsons`business partner runs a caliper repair and parts supply operation.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

J44EAG

Re: Supercharger drive coupling upgrade Eaton112 equiped V8R

Postby J44EAG » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:48 am

This part has now been fitted as part of a supercharger overhaul and modification and I can now detail the results.

Removal of the charger from the car is required in order to change this coupling. Oil changing can be carried out every sixty thousand miles with the charger still on the car.

Supercharger removal I would class as extremely and exceptionally difficult. Limited access at the rear of the charger makes this job one to avoid if at all possible. However coupling replacement or valley hose inspection and replacement requires the charger to be removed and there are no short cuts.

Removal of the throttle body elbow and EGR valve are a serious cuss due to limited spanner swinging space. Bolts securing the elbow to charger case, lower EGR valve bolts and two elbow to lower bracket mounts all conspire to make removal one of the most difficult jobs you will ever encounter on X350R, XFR 4.2, S-type R or XKR.

Due to my own physical problems and the above issues, I was eventually obliged to send the car to an independent Jaguar maintenance facility to complete for me. The charger was returned to me so that I could replace the coupling and change the oil together with carrying out major porting and polishing of the charger, case and upper cowhorn pressure manifold. That was the easy bit!

With the charger on the bench and having drained the oil, eight E10 bolts are removed at the front of the charger case. The extension drive shaft snout can be pulled away from the charger case which reveals the push fit coupling as seen here. Drive peg holes in the coupling were all slightly ovaled and worn. Removal of the old coupling and replacement with a new item is simple. Rebuild is the reverse of disassembly with new oil being added to complete the job.
20160811_130840.jpg
20160811_131132.jpg
20160812_065719.jpg
I was warned that the uprated coupling would be a little noisier than an original part. From start up after rebuild, this is certainly the case. At idle there would appear to be an increase in gear noise probably due to gear backlash. With the bonnet closed down, the noise is much reduced although still audible. Once in the cabin, then any extra noise at any speed is undetectable. Whether I would fit an uprated part again on the charger, is debatable. However I am running this car at much higher power levels than a standard car and am happier with the stronger part being in that drive train for this car.

The recommended oil change intervals are every 60k miles. use only the recommended gas turbine type oil from a reputable source. Powerhouse automotive can supply the oil and many other parts for supercharger rebuild.

Supercharger work and performance porting are straight forward activities. BUT removal of the complete charger from the car is NOT!

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR