Spoof overheat condition. All models of V8 engine.

Moderator: J44EAG

barrywi

Re: Spoof overheat condition. All models of V8 engine.

Postby barrywi » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:40 pm

I think this saga deserves a TV series of ots own. Your work makes the efforts they go to on Wheeler Dealers seem easy peasy.
War and Peace is on the TV at the moment and your saga lasted longer than that! I am sure you were as cold as the actors in that but sorry to say their locations were better and the main characters more glamorous . Keep it up cinders you will go to the ball, you just need to find that 5mm spanner!
I have to say that you get the impression that car manufacturers deliberately fit items that can fail after 5 years and always hide them in out of the way places.
Go and warm up your hands now Mike and leave the damn car alone if it is running ok .....you do not need any more power!

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:12 pm

Down South, you can`t have enough power. I know where I can get a few more hidden HP but would need to spend some serious cash. Give it time!

Just the high flow aux pump to fit now but am with my parents for a bit building a massive ply and epoxy structure in which to mount a clock. Things I get involved with! Nearly done now so will be able to do some more stuff on the R.

MOT on Tuesday. As usual doing it a bit early to give myself a couple of weeks to get anything done that needs sorting done.

I think the problem of continued reliability is down to two things. High tech gear which rarely gets maintenance and is subject to the maxim of leave it alone until it fails and yje advancing age of a car which does not help. Given that this car is now twelve years old and one of the oldest cars I`ve ever owned, it has done well. I don`t think it was well serviced by previous owners and the Main Dealers doing the work really did little more than just oil servicing. Then I come along and buy the car and it starts to accumulate mileage at a faster rate than previously. It also gets pushed harder than perhaps it has in the past and extra grunt was added. At the end of the day, only tree old small parts were replaced in this saga. The thermostat, the temp sensor, a MAF sensor and the icing on the cake.....I put a pipe back on which had fallen off. Normal service resumed.

The best bit from all of this is we now know how to tackle a similar issue if someone else has similar faulting.

All I can say in conclusion is to check those small rubber pipes for security and cut an inch of the end of them if at all a sloppy fit on what it should fix to! It matters not whether the vehicle is petrol or diesel, V6 or V8 with or without a supercharger. Rubber small bore pipes fall to bits on old cars so these items need a bit of work from time to time.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

ptjs1

Postby ptjs1 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:58 pm

Mike,

Well done for fixing it. The small rubber pipes are notorious for hardening at the end. I had thehsame problem on a N/A 4.0 but didn't know if the same pipe existed on a S/C.

I appreciate that it may have been a faulty 'stat that caused the initial gauge deflection but I'm not sure that we really know that. As you know, stats tend to work or stick rather than have "odd" moments. I still think it's more likely that an electrical issue (either sensor blip or circuit blip) would cause a momentary full hot deflection. I had a sensor on my x308 that would do this every couple of days before I replaced it. I know that you've kept the original sensor as a spare but I would be tempted to throw it.

I've just finished replacing 'stat and coolant on the Clio runaround which decided yesterday that it would run in a constantly open state. Don't you just hate those spring hose clips rather than decent jubilee clips!

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:06 pm

The whole issue was certainly an odd one.

Before the new LNA1600AA temp sensor arrived on Wednesday, the old original one was not giving any further indicated overheat indications. Once I had changed the stat, then things became normal as regards any temperature indications. I still maintain the original stat was not allowing much flow and causing a local hot spot at the sensor. That sensor was on the car the day before and I did a fast eighty mile trip from Fareham near Portsmouth up to my parents place near Kenley and once warmed up to the normal fully hot condition, the gauge never moved at all.

I do suspect that there might have been a bad contact at the connector plug which I may have cleared. I must have disconnected that plug at least a dozen times!

The lean Banks A & B PO171 and PO174 issues where solely down to the rubber pipe falling off. Still sluggishness appears to be due to a tired MAF. With the new MAF fitted, the transformation in performance and improved idle was very noticeable. I replaced one on the S-type at one time and that car then really bucked its ideas up. It would appear the MAF has quite an influence on system performance.

The new J44 has had quite a few birthdays recently. Pleased to say all have been productive and good results obtained. Augers well for the future of the car and also the pleasure and reassurance of increased reliability every time a part is replaced with new. Eventually the process will slow down to better levels as all the boxes get ticked. At least this car is a solid base to build upon.

MOT time next Tuesday. How I hate that test with a car that is new to me. The first one is always the worst.

Might fit the new supercharger pump tomorrow. Gives me something to do whilst I wait for paint to dry.

Again thanks for all your help, guys.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

robv12

Postby robv12 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:21 am

Glad to be of help dear boy

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Truly a total result made possible by our excellent JEC networking. My renewed thanks to everyone concerned.

I had a faultless eighty mile trip back home again this morning with the XJR going like a steam train. Celebrated by having it washed following my nine day trip away from base camp.

The next jobs are the MOT on Tuesday followed by fitting the high flow Bosch auxiliary inter-cooler pump.

Without doubt a magnificent piece of kit. Very glad I bought it.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR