I usually drive an XJR but now I`m going to be a Hurricane pilot!

Moderator: J44EAG

JerryL770

Re: I usually drive an XJR but now I`m going to be a Hurricane pilot!

Postby JerryL770 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:42 am

Have you used those TowerPro servos before, Mike?

I had some in one plane and I was not happy with their operation - not smooth. Not at all sure whether or not the same model servo.
JerryL
1970 E-Type S2 FHC. Dark Blue with Red interior. MX5 seats
Ariel Leader returned to the road since 1974 - now passed to someone more enthusiastic :)
Various R/C flying models

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:48 pm

I have a pile of TP MG996 metal geared servos, Jerry. No problem at all. They run well on 5 cell, 7.5v NiMh or Fe type batteries. Being digital units rather than analogue, the seem to like good voltage. Not much more I can say about them other than I`ve had no issues. Reviews didn`t kick up and issues so I bought a load of them.

Not much done today. Yet another emergency admission for my Father into hospital early this morning and only I`ve just returned. Situation seems to have stabilized and I`m now back home and wondering if it will be kebab, fish and chips or pizza for grub tonight. Decisions, decisions! So much for my attempts to get to the model shop today. Perhaps tomorrow will be more productive.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

JerryL770

Postby JerryL770 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:04 am

Fish n chips every Friday :D :wink:

At last making some progress on my Cub but this will stall soon as we are off on our holliers. I will post a few pics before.
JerryL
Ariel Leader returned to the road since 1974 - now passed to someone more enthusiastic :)

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:08 pm

A difficult few days spent traveling between the house and East Surrey Hospital where my Father is laid up. Recovery is now taking place but two trips a day on a tortuous eleven mile journey in each direction, plus foot work within the hospital not to mention attending my Father, has left me quite exhausted. The pounding action of walking on a sciatic affected foot has been painful and debilitating. Fortunately, it appears that Father will be discharged on Tuesday and the travel misery can then cease...until the next time......

With my sleep pattern and pain management severely disrupted, I`ve been down in the hanger at all hours of the day and night. Progress on the Bi-stomer has slowed somewhat but at least now the firewall bulkhead, engine mount and further fuselage building has moved on a bit. A fair amount of time and effort has been put into installing the bulk head, setting up side and down thrust angles and shaping balsa block work to blend with the aluminum propeller spinner. The sanding dust and chaos increases in direct proportion to the amount of block bashing that takes place. The hanger is badly in need of a clear up. The images below show the ensuing bedlam, the progress made and the still incomplete fuselage partially awash in fuel proofing epoxy resin sat in front of a blower heater whilst curing.
20190613_060506.jpg
20190613_060521.jpg
20190616_223646.jpg
20190616_223714.jpg
20190616_223222.jpg
20190616_223238.jpg
20190616_223249.jpg
Time to get some rest before I have to make another trip to the hospital.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

JerryL770

Postby JerryL770 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:25 pm

Table does look a bit manic Mike. I should have a few minutes of tidying if I was you, then you will never be able to find that whatsit!! :lol:
.... but satisfying when done.

I do like alloy spinners too, but not so keen on the Master Airscrew propellers. I've had some difficulties balancing them in the past. I much prefer Graupner ..... if you can get 'em.
JerryL

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:04 am

Another milestone reached on this thread. On April 19th, twenty thousand viewings had occurred. Some fifty six days on, another five thousand hits have taken place. Now standing at over twenty five thousand views, on average, the thread has seen eighty nine viewings a day! Thanks again for your interest in this completely non-Jaguar related subject!!

Progress has been slow on the Bi-stormer over the last week. With my Father still in hospital, much time has been spent battling the grid locked traffic system around the junction of the M25 and the A22 when going to or returning from East Surrey Hospital at Redhill. Accidents and the thoughtless actions of Tandridge Council cutting grass on the roundabout below the motorway have resulted in two and a half hour stationary traffic jams. Totally unacceptable as no prior warning was given causing traffic to become totally fouled throughout several working days. The cost in wasted fuel, time and disruption seems lost on the planning muppets in the local council. Just what do they think they are playing at?! Who needs idiocy of this kind?

Bit by bit, the Bi-stormer fuselage has been coming together. The engine bearers, tank bay and its cover have taken time and care to bring into being. The fuselage has acquired its final shape through copious sanding to profile. The end result has some frontal Spitfire overtones.To all intents, the fuselage is almost ready for covering. The colour scheme is still in abeyance but looks likely to be a combination of the fluorescent orange previously used on the Ultra Sticks, grey and white. More covering material has been ordered from Hobby King and should arrive by around Wednesday.Fuel proofing varnish is on the way here and will be used to seal film joints and over paint conventional enamel paint within the engine bay, landing gear and cabane struts. This type of work is rather slow and tedious but very necessary to give the air-frame some protection from nitro-methane and methanol used in the engine fuel. I really don`t want a soggy fuel soaked model in six months time.

A few images now showing recent progress.
20190618_170519.jpg
20190622_062309.jpg
20190622_062319.jpg
20190622_062332.jpg
Note the use of small magnets to seure the tank cover in place. It is likely that I`ll also add a length of chord to the cover and fix that within the tank bay. If the magnets let go in service, at least the tank cover will stay attached to the model. The next job is to build the two wings.

Here we go again. Back in the XJR again for another early morning hospital run. This is becoming mightily tiring.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:11 am

The Bi-stormer fuselage has now been partially covered in Hobby King bright silver film as the base colour. A mass of fluorescent orange Oracover also used to aid high visibility on the Ultra Stick models features heavily on this fuselage, being overlaid on the top, bottom and sides. This certainly adds a "wow" factor as well as being a practical addition to flying visibility. Another roll of this orange covering has just arrived and will enable finishing of the fuselage to occur shortly. I also found a roll of HK black and white checker covering film in my stock which should add a further visual effect. This little bi-plane should shout very loudly when complete.
20190626_224444.jpg
The basis of the top wing construction is well on the way. This wing has been built using 6mm square section spruce main spars for strength.
20190626_224311.jpg
The lengths of spruce have been laid into the wing ribs to avoid a joint on the centre line of the wing. Two epoxy glued scarf joints on each spar section either end of the spar have allowed the spars to be extended to the full wings span of the model. Vertical sheer webs are glued to the top and bottom spars to impart extra strength and help the D-section of the front of the wing to act as a torsion box. This obviously helps impart torsional rigidity along the length of the wing. The centre of the wing is robust and allows the use of four 6mm nylon sheer bolts to be used to fix the finished wing to the fuselage cabane struts. The construction is quite fiddly and time consuming. There are many parts which have individually had to be cut from 3mm birch plywood or balsa sheet stock. Accuracy of construction is essential to avoid a built in wing warp which would result in a poorly performing model.
20190626_224351.jpg
As seen here, the wing is shown after about twenty five hours of work. Much of it is repetitive and often tedious. However, the final result is what gives the personal sense of achievement.

Costs to date associated with this model account for around £270. It is quite surprising how the money disappears every time I go to the model shop of draw from internet suppliers. Still, a hobby always cost money, doesnt it?

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:49 pm

A small progress up date on the Bi-stormer build.

Keeping this project moving has been difficult due to continued hospitalization of my Father which has required family members having to travel to and from the hospital several times a day in the heavy traffic around the bottom of the M25 and the local A25 to Redhill. That has been exhausting for us all as we traveled some 1200 miles over a three week period of my Fathers incarceration. Fortunately he has now been transferred to a re-hab bed in a local care home which is only a couple of miles from us. Needless to say, the saving in costs, time, frustration, fuel and wear and tear on the cars has been an unavoidable part of attending my Father. The trips to Redhill and back won`t be missed. The XJR proved to be totally unsuitable for this journey type. Fuel costs alone worked out at about £10 for just 22 miles covered in stop start traffic and B-road metalised cart track flogging. In just 100 miles, my nice bright silver alloys became seriously covered in black brake pad dust. All I seemed to be doing for the journeys was brake pedal bashing in stop-start traffic. This car is better suited to fast A-road or motorway use. The Peugeot Tepee converted diesel van with flappy paddle auto gearbox proved far more suitable and even managed to average 45mpg on the same journey that had the XJR down to 16mpg.

The Bi-stormer build has continued albeit in rather slow time. The top wing is almost complete with just ailerons and final covering needed to complete this part of the model. The centre section of the lower wing has been completed but the two wing panels remain to be constructed. Images here show the top surface of the top wing and below that, the lower surface of the wing.
20190704_132017.jpg
Built in inter-plane attachments can be seen protruding from two of the outer wing ribs.
20190704_132034.jpg
A similar arrangement will be built into the top surface of the lower wing.

Removable inter-plane struts will "join" the two wings together in true bi-plane fashion. In the case of this Bi-stormer, the struts are not load bearing but are purely for visual improvement.

Not much more to report at this stage. Perhaps next week will see the bottom wing built. This Saturday sees me at Headcorn Airshow in Kent with my cousin, youngest daughter and my lovely five year old grand-daughter. She has to see and hear a Spitfire in the air at some point in her life!

More news in due course.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:25 pm

Inspired by my visit to the Headcorn Airshow, the build on the Bi-stormer bi-plane has progressed further. Both wings are now near complete with just the servo mountings to concoct for the lower wing together with rationalizing the mountings for the lower wing inter-plane struts. Two additional part wing ribs will need to be accurately positioned to reflect the positioning of the mounts already built into the top wing. With those jobs done, both wings will be ready for covering. After that, ailerons need to be hinged and control surface horns attached. Then comes manufacture of the adjustable push rod linkages and ensuring that everything moves as it should. After that, link push rods will be made to transfer motion at the trailing edges of the bottom wing ailerons to a matching set on the top wing. Once all that has been done, then orange colour trim can be applied. Another week or so of effort should see this model ready to fly.

I really must get someone to take some images of these models in flight so I can post them here.

Just one image tonight. That of the two wings in their present state. Note the horizontal lower wing which has been built in three sections with angled dihedral and epoxy/e glass joint reinforcement in the centre. The top wing is flat and joints are non existent around the centre of the wing. Reinforcement is not required.
20190714_205244.jpg
I`ve done two flying sessions over the past week. One on Thursday morning at the Falcon site near Biggin Hill and the other at my Croydon Club site just a little further away from what is now known as Biggin Hill International Airport. Seemingly a good working relationship between all three local model flying clubs and the National Air Traffic Control Service is now in existence. This bodes well for the future and both NATS and the flying club members are working towards a meaningful and productive relationship. Our task was to convince NATS that we were a responsible and mature group of enthusiastic air minded individuals intent on allowing skies to be used in perfect safety by both full size aircraft and understanding modellers. At long last the penny seems to have dropped. The sky is big enough for all of us. As long as the DfT and Civil Aviation Authority maintain open dialogue with the modellers representative association (the BMFA) there is no reason why we could not and should not work together.

More news on the Bi-stormer build later in the week.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:27 am

Three shots of the Bi-stormer with all the prime parts fitted for the first time. It is starting to become a very pretty looking model and I hope it flies without issues. A few more days of concerted effort and it will be done.
20190717_081731.jpg
20190717_081752.jpg
20190717_081805.jpg
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

JerryL770

Postby JerryL770 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:54 pm

Looking very good, Mike.

Progress on my Cub is slow but I'm proceeding now with covering. 3 week trip to Canada and Alaska, then a weeks recovery :lol: stalled work.
JerryL

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:37 am

Thank you, Jerry. Enjoy your hols!

A little more progress made on the Bi-stormer. Inter-plane strut mounts have been shaped to an appropriate profile and struts manufactured. Images on that aspect when I next do another photo session.

A days effort now sees the wings covered in silver heat shrink covering and the engine has been installed. Ailerons have also been hinged and fixed to the wings. Only a few smallish items to fit and colour trim to apply now before the model is near complete. The all up weight is now just over 9Lbs/4.14Kg and seems reasonable for its size.

Bit by bit this model is coming together. The down side is that the conservatory appears to have dropped to an amazing state of bedlam. It is my best mess yet. A monumental clearance session will be needed once this model is finished.
20190720_230330.jpg
20190720_230243.jpg
20190720_230315.jpg
20190720_230259.jpg
Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

JerryL770

Postby JerryL770 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:04 pm

Holiday has been and gone. We were on a small cruise ship in the fjords of SE Alaska out of Juneau during the heatwave. 80+°F Super weather all week. Only problem was the 120+ wildfires in Alaska and British Columbia made a thick haze over everything. Here Hilary paddles whilst I steer :D
20190701_142012s.jpg
Flair Cub build nearly done. Just need to do wing joint reinforcement with glass/epoxy and fit out the r/c gear and motor. The motor will be the SC40 I bought with the kit but I will bench run it first to get it starting easily and slightly run in.
20190721_124227s.jpg
20190721_124253s.jpg
JerryL

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:38 pm

Glad you had a good holiday, Jerry. The Cub has progressed well. Look forward to seeing more images soon.

Today, Boris became Prime Minister but Bi-stormer work continued in the hangar with more orange sunburst trim being applied.
20190723_090255.jpg
20190723_090304.jpg
Since these images were taken, the tail plane and fin have received similar treatment. Further images soon.

Once again I nipped over to Avicraft in Bromley to consult our local model shop guru. The Bi-stormer came with me and Rob gave it a customary once over. He gave it good marks and said my covering and trim were well applied and suited the model well. Even with an all up weight of just over 9Lbs/4.14Kg, the model was not overly heavy and should be set to fly well. Advice was sought on aileron linkages and a few parts bought to suit. Not much more to do on this model now.

Trading with Rob at Avicraft is known as "Robbery"! That always seems to give him a good chuckle. One of my other reasons for my visit to him was to collect one of his well known "Panic" bi-plane kits.
20190723_221134.jpg
Originally Rob and his brother produced the kits in their shop backroom workshop. As demand for this highly aerobatic model increased, Rob found it impossible to keep up production to the level of demand. Regularly dealing with Maidstone based modelling goods distributors J Perkins, Rob let the rights of his design out to Perkins who have the kit produced in Pakistan.
20190723_221320.jpg
Rob now simply collects a royalty payment for each kit produced and avoids the hassle of producing the kits himself. Thousands of these kits have been sold over about forty years and the design is one of the true modelling classics just as the Ultra Stick has done. Almost every radio control modeller ends up with one of these models in his collection at some point. Now I`ve joined their ranks. Interestingly, Rob ran a Panic display team and one one occasion managed to have twenty examples of the kit flying at the same time. That really is some achievement of co-ordination.

The Panic kit is very well made and the laser cutting of the balsa and ply components is very sharp.
20190723_221358.jpg
Rob threw in various additional accessory parts needed to complete the kit together with a good bundle price. How I love going over to the shop for a chat, coffee, a sandwich and a good laugh with fellow modellers in a club like atmosphere. I always feel good when I leave although invariably I`ve been "Robbed" of at least £150 on each visit. Not many establishments like this in existence anymore. As usual, I`ll document and photograph the Panic build as it progresses. One of my cheap eBay two stroke SC/ASP .75 engines bought in un-run condition will find itself affixed to this model.
20190723_221456.jpg
So the plan is to finish the Bi-stormer over the next few days, clear up the chaos in the hanger, read the Panic build manual and go from there.
20190723_221231.jpg
I previously promised a video of the No 1 Ultra Stick in flight. Click the link below to see the footage taken last Tuesday by fellow Croydon member, Ivan Smith. I`m grateful to him for sending this on to me. Ivan has a bit of a sense of humour and demonstrates this at the conclusion of the footage! The video shows me flying the Ultra Stick initially working to reset the model trim to gain straight and level flight. You can hear my comments in the soundtrack. The electronic squeaking you hear in the back ground is the sound generated by the transmitter as I moved elevator and aileron trim controls to level the flight of the model. The transmitter trim controls inevitably get moved when it gets moved between hanger and car during transportation. Ignore the sound of an internal combustion engine in the background. That noise comes from a model being run up in the flight pit area behind me. The flight was made on a windless day and multiple demonstration landing approaches are made at quite a high speed. Later flights saw me deploy wing flaps to slow the rate of decent and landing speed. The infamous model eating oak tree can be clearly seen and also my landing approaches which pass very close to it. This tree was the one that consumed this same Ultra Stick the day before I took my proficiency test. As you will see it is a very, very big tree which I`m certain is mounted upon a high speed trolley. It takes practice to keep away from its reaches!https://youtu.be/L6vphFPwPrA

More modelling mayhem soon. Cheers guys.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

JerryL770

Postby JerryL770 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:30 pm

Nearly there with the Cub. Covering all done except for the windows. Temporarily installed all the electrics and motor (engine?? :roll: ) so that I could check how the CoG is. I have the Multiplex balancer which needed to be put on some battens so that the wheels were off the deck. CoG position is to be 85mm behind the leading edge so I set the stops at 85:
20190725_124330s.jpg
Wow, it is exactly there: :D
20190725_124343s.jpg
So next thing is to bench run the engine to run it in a bit and get it starting easily. I've not used an SC engine before so need to gain some confidence in it.

I made a mount for it from a batten of wood, (to be mounted in the trusty workmate) cutting a slot for the engine and drilling pilot hole for 4 self tappers to hold it down, but I was careless screwing in the one just in front of the vertical needle valve and leant on the fuel nipple with the screw driver. I did not even feel it shear off :oops: The bit left behind came out easily though - phew, but where would I find a replacement. Google search for SC engine spares and turned to the first one - Wheelspin Models - search for fuel nipple and dozen or so were listed, one of which looked OK, was "in-stock" but was listed for 60+ size engines. So I called 'em up and and after a bit of too-and-fro the chap there found one and measured the thread for me. Same size - YEA. Put on order. Engine running delayed a bit so I will juct have to finish off the electrics install and fit the windows.
JerryL