Windscreen Replacement: what tint?

Moderator: XjRestorations

LJR

Windscreen Replacement: what tint?

Postby LJR » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:42 am

My windscreen has been badly cracked by a flying stone and is irreparable. I have found that Pilkington will make a Triplex branded replacement but they offer a choice of 7 tints. My original windscreen, that dates to October 1977 and so must be the original, has Sundym x laminated written on it but no obvious tint. I've done the test of putting a sheet of white paper behind the glass to see what colour it is tinted but it doesn't appear to have any tint. More confusingly when I do the same test on the door glass I'm really not sure if it is Green or Blue. Pilkington is suggesting that Sundym means a Green tint but aren't that convincing.

Does anyone know what tint would have been standard on a Series 2 XJ Coupe?
Daimler Double Six Two Door
Daimler Six (X300)
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 Petrol
Daimler Double Six Two Door (Sold)

mike020150

Re: Windscreen Replacement: what tint?

Postby mike020150 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:00 am

Hi Lucas,

You sound like you are going through a familiar process. I replaced my original front screen 2/3 years ago to get rid of stone damage. The original (similarly labelled Sundym) had a slight green tint to it. As you may know, when new, Jaguar offered laminated clear, laminated tinted and laminated tinted/shaded screens for the series 2 cars. FWIW my Pilkington tinted replacement appears to match OK although it didn't arrive with any Sundym or similar markings on it. Ensure you get someone competent to fit it. These days, glass fitters aren't used to old fashioned windscreens fitted with sealing rubbers. I can only recommend Yorvik Windscreens but unfortunately, they are nowhere near Kent! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

PaulGover

Re: Windscreen Replacement: what tint?

Postby PaulGover » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:08 am

My olden also said Sundym but looked almost clear. It was a very slight green tint when I got it, about 5 years old at the time. Perhaps the tint fades with time; might be worth asking Pilkingtons.

You might like to read this post on Classic Rover forum.
1981 XJ6 Series III basket case
1991 XJS V12 "facelift"
2008 XJ TDVi