Kent wheel restoration

Moderator: XjRestorations

Mackie

Kent wheel restoration

Postby Mackie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi all,

I know it's an HE car, but I looooove Kent wheels, so I thought I'd source a pair to rotate with my lovely lattice wheels (while I clean the buggers). I'm now looking at getting the wheels refurbed to original and looking for the correct bolts to fit them.

Any suggestions/experience of folk restoring Kent wheels would be appreciated. I've been told not to have them lacquered. Just wondering about colour, etc.

Many thanks.
Mac

Previously: 1989 V12 XJ-S Coupe

mike020150

Re: Kent wheel restoration

Postby mike020150 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:31 am

If you have a set of elderly Kents, first check that they will clear the brake callipers. This was an issue with the very earliest version of the Kent wheel. Again, from memory, Kents are narrower (half an inch?) than Lattice wheels so you will need appropriately sized tyres to fit. Colour-wise, there were shade variations over the years with the final versions being painted gunmetal in the centres. As with all alloys, lacquer pealing can be a problem. I had a set refurbished in 1988/89 and had the rims polished but not lacquered and they are still in acceptable condition today. It's a question of keeping them clean with an occasional metal polish to retain the shiny finish. Of course, if the car is to be used regularly on salty roads, lacquering would probably be the better way to go.
Finally, these days, it would be a good idea to confirm that your insurance company will be happy with the swap. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

davidr

Postby davidr » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:45 pm

If you have a set of elderly Kents, first check that they will clear the brake callipers. This was an issue with the very earliest version of the Kent wheel. Again, from memory, Kents are narrower (half an inch?) than Lattice wheels so you will need appropriately sized tyres to fit. Colour-wise, there were shade variations over the years with the final versions being painted gunmetal in the centres. As with all alloys, lacquer pealing can be a problem. I had a set refurbished in 1988/89 and had the rims polished but not lacquered and they are still in acceptable condition today. It's a question of keeping them clean with an occasional metal polish to retain the shiny finish. Of course, if the car is to be used regularly on salty roads, lacquering would probably be the better way to go.
Finally, these days, it would be a good idea to confirm that your insurance company will be happy with the swap. Mike.
Don't you dare take it out on salty roads! (Said the overprotective ex-owner!)
As Mike says, tyre size for these wheels was originally 215/70 which is a bit skinnier than the the 235/60 you have on the lattice wheels. The upside of the taller tyres will be a more compliant ride.
By the way, I did warn you that the lattice alloys look nice but were a PITA to keep clean before you made me take the Speedlines off! :D

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Don't worry, David, no salty roads! Just for the odd nice day we might get during the winter (rather like today actually!)

I know what you said about the lattice wheels, but they are the best wheels for an XJ-S (the only others I like are the Kent wheels).
Mac

mike020150

Postby mike020150 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:08 pm

The tyre size/wheel combinations began with 205/70x15 tyres fitted to Kents. 215/70x15s arrived with the HE cars and Starfish alloys. Then, even bigger wheels used even bigger tyres! Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks very much, Mike.

I’m trying to get hold of the Jaguar paint codes for the alloys, but I understand Jaguar keep them secret. I have various serial numbers on the wheels, but wish I could get hold of the exact paint codes to supply to a restorer when I finally visit one!
Mac

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:43 pm

Mac,

It might be worth you putting a rim in the car and nipping down to a local trade paint motor factor. Most now have electronic spectral analysis equipment which can view the paint and work out the correct paint "brew". No doubt they will be able to make a can of the correct colour up for you on the spot.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

JaguarBreaker

Postby JaguarBreaker » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:33 pm

The Kents on my 1991 Daimler Double Six Series 3 are Tungsten Metallic JEX/718 on the insert part. Jaguar used this as a body colour between 1986 and 1991.

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:33 pm

The Kents on my 1991 Daimler Double Six Series 3 are Tungsten Metallic JEX/718 on the insert part. Jaguar used this as a body colour between 1986 and 1991.

Thanks for that. I think I had mine in “Range Rover”, but that is also correct apparently.
Mac