Water leaking into boot

Moderator: XjRestorations

jagmanuk

Water leaking into boot

Postby jagmanuk » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:15 pm

I have a series one xj6 which unfortunately stands outside, open to the weather. The boot keeps getting water ingress which soaks all the boot carpeting (this is probably all ruined now) which I have removed as it held loads of water, a bit like a sponge and also keeps affecting the points in the fuel pumps so after every winter I have to strip them and clean the points to get them working again. I have fitted a new boot seal rubber. My question is does anyone have any suggestions as to how to identify how and where the water is getting in?

Tintin

Re: Water leaking into boot

Postby Tintin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi Jagman

Have you checked the tray under the rear parcel shelf? Any water getting into the vents in the edge of the boot rim opening below the rear window runs into this and then to two drain hoses, one at each end. I had mine out to give it a clean, clear out the hoses and replace the vent flaps and re-seal the tray to body joints earlier this year.

Robbie
1996 4 litre XJS Celebration 2+2
Daimler Sovereign S1 4.2 1971

jagmanuk

Postby jagmanuk » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks Robbie, I will have a look as soon as I can and let you know later. Cheers Mike

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi Robbie,
I agree with what you have to say, it's a shame Jagman has to keep his car outside, how ever I don't recall boot leaks ever being a problem.
Gosh it's donkeys years since I last fiddled in that area. Just as a quickie how about looking into the wheel arch and looking up at the end of the rubber drain pipes to see if they are clogged up with mud ! Of course once the under tray is removed all those little flap none return valves are exposed. I seem to recall they are small pieces of alloy with a fabric hinge and a rubber face. In my case the glue had given up and they had all fallen apart

Hope that helps Jagman

jagmanuk

Postby jagmanuk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks Oldtimer,
What Robbie said makes sense because the card support trim which sits under the rear parcel shelf inside the boot is hanging down, so it seems to indicate it has been soaked with water for some time. I have not yet had time to look at it I will post when I have investigated. I didn't realise it was so complicated with valves, flaps and drain tubes!
Cheers Mike

jagmanuk

Postby jagmanuk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:21 pm

I have now had a look in the boot at the parcel shelf drainage area. The card cover seems to be extensively water damaged and most of the steel cover panel fixings are very rusty. I have not removed the steel cover panel because I am nervous the fixings will shear off as I assume they are weld studs on the frame. Following Oldtimers suggestion I have pushed a flexible curtain rod up the drip tubes and it goes quite a way in until it reaches a stop, there doesn't appear to be any blockages. I have now fitted the car cover (this is a breathable one) hoping it will keep most if not all the rain off, I plan to open the boot when it has been raining for a while and have a look around to see if I can see water coming in. Any further suggestions will be welcome. Cheers Mike

Tintin

Postby Tintin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:38 am

I seem to recall they are small pieces of alloy with a fabric hinge and a rubber face. In my case the glue had given up and they had all fallen apart
Some of mine had done just that, and the result was a very annoying rattle every time one of the car doors was opened or closed - the change of air pressure was causing the flaps to operate and where the rubber faces had fallen off there was a metal - to - metal contact causing a clatter. All fixed now though.

Water leaks are often difficult to trace. If the vent/tray arrangement is suspected test by removing all nearby trim and squiring water in the vent holes.

As OT says, the rubber seal of the boot opening is unlikely to be an issue but to test the seal - to - boot lid contact cut a strip of thick paper, place it between the rubber and lid and close the boot - feel for pull out resistance. Work around the boot in sections.

Getting the tray out is an exercise in contortion. You have to lay on your back in the boot and work upside down with a torch and socket set - very uncomfortable!

Let us know how you get on!

Robbie

Tintin

Postby Tintin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:48 am

One further thought. If the rear window seal has failed, water may have corroded the body panel underneath it to perforation, letting water in at the same location of the vent tray. But if the corrosion was that bad I would have thought it would have been obvious.

Robbie

jagmanuk

Postby jagmanuk » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Thanks Robbie,
Great information, I will let you know when I have had further investigation but it will be in a little while
Cheers Mike