faulty acceleration with no fault codes

Moderators: GJS-typeR, Montana5

JR424

faulty acceleration with no fault codes

Postby JR424 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:58 am

Morning everybody can you help? Jaguar s type 3.0 v6 auto year aug 2000. notes on last MOT was steering column worn.
last November on the way to work car was faltering on initial acceleration. as soon as cruising a 20+mph and above seemed OK. left it at home a couple of days and has been sound since. last week from start it was not accelerating and finally cut out. called out trusty RAC who didn't have a clue because it started and showed no fault code but would not rev smoothly. RAC rep suggested I try to drive it home with him following. very tricky getting acceleration but again when travelling at 20 plus OK. just on take off. strange but as we traveled further it got slightly better
still no fault codes.
only common denominators
1.for the last year when filling petrol pump keeps cutting out can take upto twenty mins to get tank filled.
2. both days it has been playing up pouring with rain.

Thanks
Rums

J44EAG

Re: faulty acceleration with no fault codes

Postby J44EAG » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Throttle pedal units can get a dose of damp. Remove and put on the central heating boiler for 24hrs.

When was the fuel filter last changed? The canisters can fill with condensation over time. What comes out when changed can be dire! A car won`t run on water!! Worth checking.

Throttle potentiometers on the throttle body can go duff. Two Torx head bolts will get it off. Also remove and clean the throttle body to spotless condition. Fit a new gasket before re-assembly. The throttle plate and throat need to have crank case breather gunk removed from them. A car will run much better after that work. Also worth cleaning the MAF sensor on the pipe that comes out of the air filter box. Again two small Torx bolts secure the unit. Use only spray carb cleaner or solvent switch cleaner to remove the gunge. The hot wire must be silver and shiny. Not covered in black gunge.

Just a few ideas to get you started.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

rosemary

Re: faulty acceleration with no fault codes

Postby rosemary » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:30 am

Hello Rums
Have you tried driving the car with the fuel filler cap off and is the little drain hole under the filler clear.
I had the throttle problem Mike refers to on my 1999 Petrol S-Type however I did get an alarm up.
Dave
Dave Hart
2005:-S Type V 6, 2.7D
2009:-XF 3.0D V6 Premium Luxury