Brake problem

Moderators: Montana5, GJS-typeR

rosemary

Re: Brake problem

Postby rosemary » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:51 am

Hello Folks
Got quite excited late yesterday, two parcels arrived, the first from Jaguar Parts 4 U, a Brake Master Cylinder and reservoir tank complete and assembled. Got it as a "just in case" to replace mine if needed during dismantling. The seals between the tank and cylinder don't seem to be available separately anymore. Cost £69 including postage a bit dearer than most on ebay but it's like new and has been tested. I can't fault the retailer at all and will be revisiting them next time. New units from Barratt are £223.26+VAT for the plastic reservoir tank and £277.27+VAT for the cylinder .
Not sure if the seals come with the tank or the cylinder.
The second parcel was from TOM TOP, the Brake Bleeding Kit and Vacuum Gauge, brilliant kit, ordered standard delivery free on 4/4 from China arrived 9/4, amazing. Again a revisit to this company will be a norm for the sort of things they sell. The gauge is graduated in kPa and mmHg and the JEC Workshop Manual quotes a minimum vacuum from the Vacuum Pump of 40.5 kPa so I don't have to mess about converting units to know where I am with the pump when I test it.
Was hoping to carry on today but it's raining. I have been cutting ,fitting, and sticking the 10mm sticky back insulation sheet I now have to the underside of the Valance in the dry in the garage and that's looking good. Waiting for the weather.
Dave Hart
Dave Hart
2005:-S Type V 6, 2.7D
2009:-XF 3.0D V6 Premium Luxury

rosemary

Postby rosemary » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Hello Folks
Just a short update.Today was cold but dry this afternoon so I set up the Chinese Vacuum Gauge on the outlet from the Vacuum Pump. Good news, the vacuum drawn was healthily over the 40.5 kPa quoted in the JEC Workshop Manual Disc,at engine idle , I noted over 60 kPa. So now it’s all going forward, Booster removal next and I have a spare Vacuum Pump in my Spares stock.
Dave Hart
Dave Hart

Montana5

Postby Montana5 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks for the update Dave, good to see the informative progress, which is excellent info for the S Type Forum.

Doug.
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator
Pictures of my 2002 STR

rosemary

Postby rosemary » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:24 pm

Hello Doug
Just quickly, I note trawling through the web prices for the Vacuum Pump , £444.00p plus VAT for a new one, and this isn't Jaguar prices.
extraordinary !!!. Mine at £30 seems to good to be true. but it is. Really enjoying this, good job I have the XF, currently at a lower mileage though, I'll know when the front bearings start go and the story starts again. Just bought a front hub bearing assembly as a spare for the XF it also fits the S-type for my stock at £66.00p new OE, on ebay, 4 times this price elsewhere,
Dave
Dave Hart

rosemary

Postby rosemary » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:29 am

Hello Foljks
Just a quick update,haven’t started removing Booster yet trying to work out how to get to the brake pedal connection and the four retaining nuts in the footwell. Looks like half the dashboard has to come out first. Going to put it off and go for a weeks holiday instead. I’ve renewed all the front brake pads and discs in the last couple of days they didn’t need it but as I’m renewing most of the rest of the braking system I thought in for a penny etc. Just a brief question, I note looking through all the spares sites loads of Booster Servos for sale. Does this suggest this element is a common failure in this car. I must say when the power assistance fails it is very frightening and could easily be the cause of a severe crash.
Dave Hart

rosemary

Postby rosemary » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Hello Folks
Just took off a lower panel from below the steering, can see the connection to the brake pedal and the four retaining nuts for the Brake Servo.
Logic says if I can see them I can get them off,(only if I lie on the drivers seat on my head!!!!).
I went on to other Forums and it seems failure of the Brake Servo is in fact a common issue and access to the above retaining nuts and stuff is difficult without being a contortionist. I feel sorry for car mechanics assigned to do this job and owners except in America of course.
Dave Hart
Dave Hart

rosemary

Postby rosemary » Fri May 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Hello Folks
Well I'm a contortionist and ache all over. Brake Servo replaced at last, what a job!.Next time one of these fails I'll sell the car for scrap, although this is a first for me in 56 years of driving cars, so I might have a while to wait. Removing the four retaining nuts requires much patience and different length spanners as does putting them back on. The work under the bonnet is a pleasure compared. The whole job took about three hours. The illustrations in the JEC Workshop Manual disc were of great help. The job that also took a bit of time was bleeding the system, lots of air needed to be bled out requiring someone (wife) pumping the pedal until their legs ached. I used 3 litres of brake fluid.
MOT next and Rear Parking Sensors before Taxing and taking off SORN.
Dave Hart
Dave Hart

Montana5

Postby Montana5 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:42 am

A great result, well done Dave. One of those jobs that is probably easier to get to from a 2 or 4 post Ramp and standing on the ground, even getting to the Fuse Box down there is a pita.

Doug.
Assistant S Type Model Co-ordinator
S Type Forum Moderator
Pictures of my 2002 STR

ketmolnarauto543

Postby ketmolnarauto543 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:26 pm

I have a Jaguar S-Type car. I'd like to replace the front brake disc , but I don't know which brand to choose. Could you help me?

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:13 pm

Jaguar OE is obviously the original factory fitment...however they are Mintex/TRD in a posh box. Mintex as a brand are somewhat less costly but are OE spec units. Most of us here on the site us Mintex because of the known OE quality and reasonable cost. Have a look at the Berkshire Jaguar Components site for details. Their prices are as good as it gets but buying off their eBay site usually gets free carriage and therefore saves you money.

Select carefully by model year and the last six digits of your VIN. The VIN is on the V5C and can also be seen through the windscreen in the lower near side corner. Example of the code would be for instance, M33072. Use your own VIN when you talk to any part supplier.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR