Transmission slippage

Moderators: GJS-typeR, Montana5

christopherspeed59

Transmission slippage

Postby christopherspeed59 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi,

Recently first thing in the morning when car is stone cold when it changes from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th the revs rise as it changes just as though you are keeping your foot on the throttle while changing up in a manual car. I had the car scanned and code P 0706 came up which shows fault with transmission range sensor. This would only happen on the first changes up through the box after that all would settle down and changes would be fine. We cleared the code and i booked car into Bristol Transmissions for them to have a look at it. Having used the car for three weeks i took it to Bristol yesterday and left it with them for the morning, they done a scan which showed no fault codes, checked the oil level which was correct and sampled the oil which they described as fair and should not be a problem to continue using. However there was a software update available which they could put on to bring it up to date which i agreed to them doing. I had the oil changed when i bought the car 20 months ago but the garage that changed it said it was impossible to drain the tourque converter. Until this recent problem all has been fine. I asked Bristol Transmissions about an oil change and whether they could drain or flush the tourque converter and they said they no longer recommend flushing as this can cause more problems they now just drain and refill complete with new sump pan and filter, the price quoted for an oil change was £275+vat using original parts or £235+vat for after market parts which they use a lot of and never have any problems with. Hopefully this software update will work and all will be fine. Fingers crossed. :D
Chris
Quartz, 2.7D Auto S Type SE

J44EAG

Re: Transmission slippage

Postby J44EAG » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Interesting to hear Simon Parks recommendations regarding full flushing problems, Chris.

I imagine that a full flush could release particulate within all parts of the transmission particularly (pun) on high mileage transmissions. Solenoid packs can easily be jammed up by particulate so this to my mind probably explains Simons modified stance in the matter.

I would have thought that with a transmission with less than 30k miles under its belt, a full flush would cause few problems. With higher mileage transmissions that have not had oil changes at early stages in their service lives, would almost certainly be units that would have accumulated particulate and full flushing may indeed lead to more problems than it solves.

For another view on the subject, have a word with Alan Priddy, MD at Express Gearbox in Portsmouth. Alan is not only a gearbox rebuilder, but is retained as a technical consultant by ZF and the MoD. He specializes in problem gearbox issues and is known for his belt and braces approach to problem solving. Alan gave a lecture to us in Portsmouth Region recently and it was quite an eye opener. Suggest you have a chat with him. Mention you are a JEC member and our Regional connection.

Hope that helps,

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

christopherspeed59

Postby christopherspeed59 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike, surprise surprise slippage happened again this morning on my way to work and again when coming home, it happens the once and then all is normally fine after. To repair gearbox is minimum £1000 plus vat to replace mechatronic unit or is it megatronic unit? or recon box for £2000 plus vat. i would quite happily carry on driving regardless if i thought it this is as bad as it gets but i'm afraid it could give up alltogether. Done 500 miles last weekend on a long weekend away with no problems but nearly all motorway. Have to have a think what to do next, happy days :?
Chris

jeff1954

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Don't worry about it Chris, My box does exactly the same on very light throttle openings first thing in the morning when cold. If I'm a bit more aggresive with the throttle peddal it dosn't do it.
Allso the road I go down is slightly downhill, I just put it down to the oil being of low temp and thicker.

I had a complete flush and filter change plus a re-flash at 50k and the box is a lot smoother,It allso had the two to one jerk (for the want of a better word) when coming to a stop but that's gone now after the re-flash.

Jeff.
S Type 2.7d SE Auto

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:52 pm

The two to one jerk is known as The Lurch!

There is a web site devoted to the subject. www the lurch.com

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... _uXupOeuDQ

Happy reading.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

christopherspeed59

Postby christopherspeed59 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks Jeff, nice to know i'm not on my own your symptons are exactly like mine. If i use heavier throttle to drive around it i'd soon be going way to fast in a 30mph. Had latest software update so maybe another oil change could be the cure.

Cheers for now.
Chris