Differential

Moderators: GJS-typeR, Montana5

jeff1954

Re: Differential

Postby jeff1954 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:35 pm

OK Diff swapped over yesterday but I haven't had the chance to do a full road test, however on the way back home I could hear a slight whine at 50 mph. This is the problem of a second hand unit, if the noise is only at this speed I could probably live with it. I have also got the other diff from the Indy and as I have previously mentioned it's only done 36k so I will keep my eyes and ears open for someone that could re build it. in the future. I must admit that sometimes I think to myself that I should just sell the the car and get something else, but it's such a nice car that I think I would have to go a long way in my eyes to better it.

I wouldn't get a more modern Jag i.e. XF XE as I don't like them, too European looking especially the inside. I have been looking for a XK8 but again it's a parts problem as Jaguar cannot supply them any more and that means going down the second hand rout.
So there we have it and by the way the diff swap cost me five hundred smackaroonys (if that's the way you spell it) So I'm off to the pub now to drown my sorrows :(

Jeff

I
S Type 2.7d SE Auto

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:14 pm

I`d join you for a snifter.....but its a long way!

Suggest a 5% by volume addition of a product called Extralube ZX1. This is a friction reducer which does not alter oil properties. Google www.team-zx1.com for further details. Call the company direct for a chat about this product. Stewart is the man to talk to. Mention my name and the JEC. You should be able to pick up a 250ml pot of the additive on Ebay for around £12. Its nearly double the price in Halfords!

I now have 300ml of ZX1 in my freshly EDT treated XJR. It certainly makes cold starts quieter on sub zero days and has gained me 1mpg on the motorway. Its an interesting product and I`m about to trial some in my supercharger sump due to increased lobe rotor gear chatter caused by having a stiffer drive coupling fitted. ZX1 is quite suitable for diffs even though high oil sheer forces are present.

Jag diffs of the period have always been a little suspect. Not particularly of the highest quality and with quality control problems at various times. Build cleanliness apparently caused many issues with cutting swarf and cutting fluid content sometimes being found in dismantled units. The issue also affected some X350 models as well. If you get a good one, that`s great. If not, well, what can we do except swap out for another unit. Watch for leaks on the near side drive shaft oil seal. That is the tell tale for a diff that is in trouble.

Drink more beer. It can`t do any harm.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

jeff1954

Postby jeff1954 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi Mike thanks for the reply.More bad news i'm afraid I took the car for it's MOT today and it passed but the tester pointed out that (you guessed it) the N/S diff seal is leaking. Now when this diff was fitted it was as dry as a bone and the mechanic told me that he had to clean up the N/S shaft that goes into the diff with some fine emery paper as it was slightly pitted or something along those lines. He said that if the seal start's leaking you will need a new drive shaft. So it looks to me that the old diff has damaged the drive shaft and that in turn has damaged the seal.

I rang David Manners earlier and explained the above to find out how much a new shaft would be and he told me that the shaft is in two parts and I would only need the CV joint end that goes into the diff. So I think the way forward now is to get one and a new seal and see how that goes. So my question is has anyone ever split one of these shaft's and is it easy and does the shaft come out of the wheel hub easily or would I need a puller to get it out and a press to get it back in. The reason I ask this is because when I fitted the new seal last year I removed the wheel assembly and shaft in one lump.

Thank's in advance.
Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Jeff,

I believe it can be pulled by hand. That said I`ve seen Jagcare struggle terribly with getting a shaft out of an XF diff. As your one has been in pieces recently, I would suggest it would probably come out fairly easily.

As regards splitting the shaft to separate the two parts, I can`t really comment on that as I`ve never needed to do one. Have a good look on other Forums for advice. That might turn up some immediate clues.

To get the shaft out with the hub (quite feasible) separate top and bottom plus the toe rod nut and bolt. The caliper will need to come off the carrier and be tied up. Perhaps worth removing the disc to make things easier and reduce weight. You may find a cir-clip or similar at the CV joint end. That`s all I can surmise presently.

Best of luck. This has not been easy for you so far, Jeff.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

jeff1954

Postby jeff1954 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks Mike It was the wheel/hub assembly end that I was referring to the pulling ect but yes the the drive shaft comes out of the diff quite easily. I have emailed Matt Quail asking his advice on the shaft splitting process.
No doubt if oldtimer was still with us he would be off to the local scrap yard grab a shaft strip it down and put all the info plus pics on here for all to see.

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto

Popsjag

Postby Popsjag » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 pm

The removal of the driveshaft from the hub can be either straight forward or bloody stubborn!
I had to do some remedial work on my old S-Type (sold on now) and put the article in the August 2017 edition of the JEC magazine.

One shaft came out pretty easy but the other was a downright pain in the a**e!!
2003 X350 XJR - daily driver
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;
1994 2.9 XJ40; 1978 5.3 Series 2 LWB

jeff1954

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:46 pm

OK popsjag thanks for that. I don't think that I'll have a problem removing the shaft as my local Indy that did the diff swap told me that they had both shafts out of the hubs and they was greased before they went back in. I am now going through the process of sourcing either the full shaft or just the end that goes into the diff (new ones of course) they are expensive if you want Jaguar ones. There are cheaper ones advertised on the internet but I am worried about the quality and fitment.

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:00 am

How long are you keeping the car, Jeff?

I would have thought a good second hand unit via Eurojag or Andy at Auto Reserve with short warranty might be a sound, economic and quick fix that need not break the bank. EJ are great guys to deal with and prices always surprise me.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

jeff1954

Postby jeff1954 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:34 pm

The problem Mike with the second hand rout to me is that the part may not be much better than the one being replaced, as I said there is a slight noise with the second hand diff which probably could be eliminated by using a additive ie Molyslip or the like. So my train of thought is to fit a new seal and a new shaft or end and see what happens. As I have said in the past it's always the N/S that you have the problem with, why I don't know.

Apart from this problem the car runs great,it's just flew through it's MOT and I still get lots of pleasure out of driving it. If Bristol Transmissions could have re built the diff for me I would have bought a new OE shaft and that would have been it. but sadly they don't do them any more.
So there we have it. I don't' want to keep spending money on it and still have the leak. Incidently I emailed that company that you mentioned about the oil additive last week but as to date they haven't got back to me.

PS I could trade it in and buy a Mustang :)
Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto

jeff1954

Postby jeff1954 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:17 pm

I don't think that last comment went down to well as I have not heard a titter from anyone since.

I was only joking guys. :oops:

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:08 pm

You can get Extralube ZX1 from ebay or at Halfords. Twice the price from that outlet though!

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

jeff1954

Postby jeff1954 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi Mike They sent an email today and said they couldn't say 100% that it would stop the noise but from past experience there's a very good chance that it would. And yes they said to add 5%

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto

jeff1954

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:16 pm

OK here we go I bought a new inboard CV joint kit and output shaft seal from the main dealer near me, wow I hear you say but with a discount of 10% for being in the JEC it was cheaper than than the part outlets advertising in the mag even thou they do the discount as well. As the oil in the diff is new I have ordered a 100 ml bottle of Extra Lube from ebay so I can add 5% to the oil. When it arrives I will do the job and hopefully the problem will be solved.

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto

jeff1954

Postby jeff1954 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:37 pm

OK Job done today, new inner CV joint new seal new oil and 5% Extralube added. Went for a run round, all still nice and dry. Time will tell.

Jeff
S Type 2.7d SE Auto