Manual gearbox oil

Moderators: GJS-typeR, Montana5

Filmdori

Manual gearbox oil

Postby Filmdori » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:26 am

Hi I'm looking to change my oil in my 3.0 manual gearbox. The question is what oil and how much should I use.
Any help would be great.
Thanks
Dan

J44EAG

Re: Manual gearbox oil

Postby J44EAG » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:43 am

There were two types of manual gearbox fitted, Dan. Most popular was the Getrag 221 which takes 1.1litres of Dex11. Otherwise a Ford manual gearbox might be found. Oil spec might be different.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

Filmdori

Postby Filmdori » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks Mike.
What's the easiest way to find out which one is fitted. It's 2001 model.

Dan

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:05 pm

The model was face-lifted in MY2002.5. Nigel Thorleys book implies a Ford box at a time when Ford owned Jaguar. It was natural perhaps that a Ford manual box was fitted to cars before that date although not quaranteed. It is also reasonable to assume that from 2002.5 and changes of ownership of the Company together with Jaguar having a larger input into the running gear, that the Getrag unit then became the norm. This subject has come up before but I don`t think we really drew a definate conclusion on when changes occured.

Perhaps Martec and Oldtimer might be able to give a better idea of when changes happened for the manual gearbox.

The most reliable way of ensuring you are shooting at the right target would be to consult a Jaguar parts man or perhaps better to get under the car and check for Ford or Getrag identification on the gearbox itself.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:34 pm

Dan,
You don't say what year model your vehicle is which would help.

As for quantity of oil. Hopefully your gear box will have both a drain plug and a bung in the side to allow you to replenish

My 03 YM S type with Gtrag manual gearbox has both a drain and filler plug. Normal practice is to drain the oil replace the drain plug and replenish until it overflows. Hopefully with the car on level ground. You will most likely find the oil drained out will be disgustingly black.

I'll try and get back tomorrow with a little more in formation

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:36 pm

As above earlier post, Phil, the car is an early model MY2001.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Dan,
I have had to attend an appointment today but don't give up I shall be back.

Mean while I am interested to know what facilities you have available to gain access to do this job. Do you have a pit or lift. Have you read the drivers handbook with regard jacking points and safety requirements.

Finally Dan, I would encourage you to spend time reading the S type section of this site. There really is huge amounts of useful information gathered over several years

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Hi Dan,
I backed the S out of the garage today. I laid down beside the car with a mirror and torch to try and see the Gear box drain plug. Sorry no luck there. Moving everything around to put the S on the lift would have been to much faffing about.
There are three under panels. One beneath the engine and two others ,one each side of the prop shaft. Normally I would remove them for access. Because they have been off on a regular basis removal is no problem at all. If they have never been off before and with out proper access removal will prove to be an absolutely crap job. There are a couple of retaining studs welded to floor. Extra care is needed when removing the nuts not to shear off the studs cos that will be a problem to resolve.

The object of laying on the ground was to try and work out which panels needed to come down go gain access to the gear box drain and filler plugs. Sadly I am nun the wiser.
r.
Now regard the quantity of oil required. I phoned Marshalls the local Jaguar Dealer

You require two bottles 1.2 litres each Jaguar Part No C2P 10363.
Dan I would ask you to consider how you intend getting the new oil into the gearbox, perhaps a small syringe is the answer.

I Hope the above helps, do let us know how you get on and come back if you need more help

Oldtimer

Popsjag

Postby Popsjag » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:36 pm

Getting oil INTO the box?

Try this method I used on my 2.7D auto:
Attachments
Pump Up Container1.jpg
2003 X350 XJR - daily driver
--------------------------------
Past vehicles:
1996 3.2 XJ6; 2004 2.7D Sport; 1996 4.0 LWB Sovereign;