Gearbox Reflash

Moderators: GJS-typeR, Montana5

sheldon1

Gearbox Reflash

Postby sheldon1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:45 am

I am going into tomorrow to get my Gearbox oil changed and also a Gearbox reflash.

I am correct in thinking that the reflash via the ECU puts the Gearbox back to is default settings?

Thanks

Paul

J44EAG

Re: Gearbox Reflash

Postby J44EAG » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:43 pm

It does a certain amount of re-setting and will incorporate any later software up-dates. The process is done via the OBD port.

Sometimes. but I know this is not always the case, the garage guy will plug his computer into the OBD port and the car will be taken for a spin. The computer shows the sate of the adaptions as the software, gearbox and road speed all start to get their act together. Worth being a passenger whilst this takes place. Quite interesting.

ZF now recommend an oil and filter change every 60k miles. My oil change cost a humble £340. Much cheaper than a new or recon gearbox.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

sheldon1

Postby sheldon1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Thanks Mike hows the X350 getting on?

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

It is a brilliant car, Paul. My best ever decision. The more I tweak it and drove it, the better it gets. Britain`s best bargain car at the moment.

The old S-type is with me again tomorrow for MOT. Now rapidly ageing with possibly a few underside issues beginning, I hope it will get through again for another year. Vince will then have had a reasonable time with the car to justify buying it. Decaying steel work is the biggest problem now affecting this model.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

sheldon1

Postby sheldon1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 pm

I have a 16 year old S type bought in April to replace my old Green s type which had done 150k and 7 k spent on it.

My current model has only 46k on the clock and just had the underside waxolyed and sills removed. No rot or welding needed.

Really pleased with the car and looking to drive it back from the Midlands to Devon tomorrow after I have had the Gearbox oil changed and reflashed.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your X350.

Paul