Transmission fill point

Moderators: GJS-typeR, Montana5

sibannac987

Transmission fill point

Postby sibannac987 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:27 pm

Simple question I have a 2006 V6 2.7 sport diesel all i need to know is where is the fill point for the automatic transmission i dont need to drain just top up. Many Thanks kind people :D

J44EAG

Re: Transmission fill point

Postby J44EAG » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:29 am

The fill point is the breather vent on the top of the gearbox.

Question...How do you know your gearbox needs a top up?

Topping up is really a garage operation with the car on a ramp with the rear wheels jacked off the ramp. Starting from cold temperature, the transmission is brought up to temperature (can`t remember what it is) then fluid is added until it comes out. I recall there may be a level plug which has to be removed. Remember fluid expands when hot so obtaining the correct temp and level is all important.

These auto boxes should only be filled with ZF Lifeguard oil or comparable specified equivalent. DO NOT use conventional ATF as it will lead to a blown gearbox.

For the small amount it would cost to employ a garage for an hours work, I seriously recommend you put this job out to a Jaguar independent operator who will ensure you receive the correct and appropriate informed help, advice and information.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

sibannac987

Postby sibannac987 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:54 am

Thanks Mike That's good advice i shall pop it into my local garage who've recently replaced the sump and gasket, front engine gasket and timing belt (due to oil saturation) eventually she'll be all sorted out and purring :roll:
I may have a gearbox fluid leak so be worth them checking

sibannac987

Postby sibannac987 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:50 pm

Just picked up the S Type from the garage its bad news i'm afraid there another oil leak on the engine and the gearbox could do with an full Transmission fluid change however the cost for the engine leak is beyond the value of the car due to labour costs. I'm thinking of using a friends car lift and tools.... and pick his brain if needed and doing it myself its time patience and basic mechanics that's needed so if i do I'll take plenty of pics and detail how and when what goes wrong what doesn't and let you all know.
Of course I shall being asking here as well :D