Heater always hot

Moderator: Art1012

kgb123

Heater always hot

Postby kgb123 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi

Once the engine has come up to temperature, I seem to get hot air coming into the car regardless of control settings. Fan motor appears to be working correctly, but not sure about the rest of the "plumbing" The air control lever going through to the actuator on the side of the heater box appears very lumpy. The temp lever appears to operate what looks like some type of valve, this moves smoothly.

As you will detect from the vague descriptions above, I am just getting to grips with the car which is a 68 2+2

Any suggestions on what I should investigate and how gratefuly received.

Regards

Kevin

e600

Re: Heater always hot

Postby e600 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:38 pm

Hi
Check that the levers actually move something. I would ensure the heater valve if OFF and the heater box flap is down, (check with your fingers up the opening in the base of the heater box). If these two things are correct then you will need to ensure there are no openings in the bulkhead to allow hot air to enter the cabin, such as missing grommets etc.

If all the above fails ensure the heat shields are fitted under the car if they are you may wish to try additional heat insulation around the transmission tunnel.

Regards
Pat

kgb123

Re: Heater always hot

Postby kgb123 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks fot the pointer Pat. I got hold of a workshop manual and could see the heater box arrangement and how it should work. Mine didn't work!! Flap was siezed up, though the lever appeared to be moving. Once I had got the rusted screws out of the heater box cover and flap retainer off, cleaned up and lubricated, all works fine.

Regards

Kevin