New Tyres Needed x type

Moderator: steveisleofwight

GarethHowe123

New Tyres Needed x type

Postby GarethHowe123 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi there everyone it's Gareth. I need some new tyres for the front of my x type and I'm not quite sure where to look. I've been pointed to asda tyres but honestly I'm not too sure what im doing. Do the 4 tyres at the top of this page look okay to you? https://www.asdatyres.co.uk/225-45-17?s ... d_index=91

Or, is there anywhere better to get them? I'd love to know.

Cheers,
Gareth.

DaveNeedham

Re: New Tyres Needed x type

Postby DaveNeedham » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:25 am

I’m really fussy when it comes to tyres, after all it’s the only contact between you and the tarmac and they do make a difference. Personally I’d go for the better premium tyres.
But do shop around, call a few places and ask what they have in your sizes, you’d be suprised at the differences.
Here’s another www.blackcircles.com they have garages associated with them for fitment.

poprivet

Postby poprivet » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:59 am

National Tyres are worth a look, I use them for both the modern cars we have.

If you order on-line and pre book them it's a lot cheaper then just calling in.
Al
1988 3.6 XJ-S coupe
'Remember that the value of your investment can plummet as well as fall'

J44EAG

Postby J44EAG » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:00 pm

I agree totally with what has been said. It is worth shopping around with the National companies but it is always worth talking to the local independent tyre suppliers. In my experience, they can come up with some pretty good and quite surprising deals.

I`m running Jinyu Gallapro tyres on my 600hp XJR and also our disabled Peugeot Tepee vehicle. Great tyres with a damage guarantee where you get a new tyre straight away but only pay for the tread used. £400 a full set for the XJR and I`m well pleased. Good wet weather grip, as quiet as it gets and good wear life.

Mike K
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

ptjs1

Postby ptjs1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:59 am

Gareth,

You have two decisions to make: what tyres to buy and where to buy them.

You'll get a variety of views as to what type of tyre to buy, from the really budget ones to the premier brands. My own view is that whilst I don't go for the really cheap ones, but I also think there's good value to be had without going for the ulta-premium brands. I've put Hankooks on my XJS, XJ8 and Mini. Fitted as new by BMW on many models, I've had really good results on all the cars. I've also used Toyo Proxes on my Range Rover.

As regards where to buy, I'd see no reason why anyone wouldn't check out Black Circles price first. You can pick your local trusted fitter (nearly everyone seems to act as a Black Circles agent these days). Having got a fitted price, you could then approach that local trusted fitter, say that you're going to purchase through Black Circles for fitment by them and would they like to beat the fitted price if they also sourced the tyres. I've yet to find a local fitter who has said they can supply and fit cheaper, rather than just doing a Black Circles fitment service.

Good luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)