Poor dipped headlights (Halogens)

Moderator: steveisleofwight

charlier6790

Postby charlier6790 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:27 pm

The dip headlamp beams on my 2004 X-Type (3-litre SE model) are very feeble. Can anyone offer advice about high performance bulb upgrades or any other improvements, please? I recall "Which" suggesting Bosch Pure Light upgraded bulbs some while ago but can't seem to find these listed.

J44EAG

Re: Poor dipped headlights (Halogens)

Postby J44EAG » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:30 pm

The early S-type has the same lack of illumination problem.

I fitted 55w Halfords Extreme Brilliance replacement bulbs which cured the problem. These are 7000 lux on the colour scale which means they produce white light. That is not only as legal as it gets, but produces the most useful colour illumination possible. Either blue or yellow other side of 7000 lux white, means that less illumination is visible by the human eye at night. At the time of fitting, two years ago, I recall they cost £23 for a pair.

90% extra illumination is claimed. Naturally I was sceptical. Upon fitting the lamps and driving at night the difference compared to standard lamps was very noticeable as was the white colour and the improved visual result. I`ve found people often remark on how well the car illuminates the road. For 323 spent, the result is a good `un.

There are many different manufacturers producing similar lamps. Many can be found easily on eBay for example.

I bought the Halfords units for one reason. Easy to find the same units locally or if travelling away from base. I always know I can get the replacements almost anywhere I happen to be.

Hope that helps.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

andypryce

Postby andypryce » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:44 pm

Agree with Mike, I did the same on my other car (fiesta) with great results.

andyp

charlier6790

Postby charlier6790 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:11 pm

Dear Mike and Andy, Many thanks for the helpful advice. I see that Halfords now list "Ultra Brilliance" H1 halogen bulbs as a more expensive (and better?) alternative to "Extreme Brilliance" bulbs. I'll try them and see how I get on. Regards. Charlie

andypryce

Postby andypryce » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:56 pm

Good idea. The beauty of the cars before the sealed xenon lights is that you can do that, the only replaceable bulbs on the XF are the indicator and reverse lights!! daft.

calvert155

Postby calvert155 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:50 pm

The early S-type has the same lack of illumination problem.

I fitted 55w Halfords Extreme Brilliance replacement bulbs which cured the problem. These are 7000 lux on the colour scale which means they produce white light. That is not only as legal as it gets, but produces the most useful colour illumination possible. Either blue or yellow other side of 7000 lux white, means that less illumination is visible by the human eye at night. At the time of fitting, two years ago, I recall they cost £23 for a pair.

90% extra illumination is claimed. Naturally I was sceptical. Upon fitting the lamps and driving at night the difference compared to standard lamps was very noticeable as was the white colour and the improved visual result. I`ve found people often remark on how well the car illuminates the road. For 323 spent, the result is a good `un.

There are many different manufacturers producing similar lamps. Many can be found easily on eBay for example.

I bought the Halfords units for one reason. Easy to find the same units locally or if travelling away from base. I always know I can get the replacements almost anywhere I happen to be.

Hope that helps.

Mike
Hello Mike,
Thanks for the infomation, I have an X-type 2006 model , and I have recently bought a pair of Osram 'night breaker'-Plus bulbs to improve my lights. I have not been able to get to the car because of the 'snow'.!!
Cheers Robert.

Hi, It's me again,I have now fitted the new bulbs and am very pleased with the results.

gwj

Postby gwj » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:35 pm

I fitted a 4300k HID kit in the dip beam, excellent lights now. Cue lots of blah blah about legality
Also put night breakers in the mains, its about as good as the lights can be.
G