Road Noise

Moderator: steveisleofwight

Hawkeye

Road Noise

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:47 pm

:) My Pirelli P Zero tyres are nearing replacement and I would like to try something that will reduce the road noise. Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

J44EAG

Re: Road Noise

Postby J44EAG » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:16 am

I have found Dunlop Mxx to be a much nicer tyre on an S-type than Pirellies.

Now with 35% LP tyres on the car, they are very easily damaged, so as I have a tenancy to wreck tyres before they are worn out, I now use cheapo Nexen tyres which have the right speed ratings but cost far less. They don`t last as long but at about 40% of the cost of a brand name, I am not to worried.

Grip in the wet or dry is fine and road noise is ok. They do what it says on the box.

Mike
X350 Co-ordinator

2004 XJR

NightSky

Postby NightSky » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi Hawkeye,

Like you I am unimpressed by the road noise from Pirelli P Zeros on an X Type. What kind of noise are you experiencing? I get a loud musical whine from around 30 to 55 MPH.

I previously have had Conti Sport Contact 3 and a similar Michelin tyre (I am struggling to remember the exact name). They were both much more civilised.

Would be interested to hear how you get on.

Night Sky

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi All,
Many thanks for your comments re tyres for my X-Type. The noise I am experiencing is a constant sort of drumming/rumbling, very difficult to put into words!! The noise is very dependant on the road surface though. I think it has got worse as the tyres have worn.
Not wheel bearings as that has been checked. :D

larryjag6

Postby larryjag6 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:17 pm

On my 2006 X type Estate Sport I changed from 18" to 17" wheels but still with Pirelli. This gave a dramatic reduction in harshness and noise. It would be good to reduce further and I note the Dunlop advice above. Thanks.

NightSky

Postby NightSky » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:44 pm

I was recently able to carry out a back-to-back test to compare the road noise between my Pirelli P Zeros (225/45x17) and a set of Michelin Pilot 3 tyres (235/40x18). Even though the Michelins were a lower profile and wider, the road noise was dramatically reduced. The "whining" of the Pirellis is totally absent and the impact harshness is certainly no worse, perhaps a little better, not what one would naturally expect. Overall the car is much more refined, so I'll be going the Michelin route at the next tyre change.

CGB

Postby CGB » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:15 pm

Hello everybody,
I find these comments about tyres very interesting. I too will shortly be needing new tyres on my diesel X type 2.2. saloon. Currently running on P zero's I do find quite a lot of road noise so I have been pondering a change of make. i have yet to make up my mind as to which sort and would be keen to hear how things develop with this forum discussion.
Regards, Chris.

gwj

Postby gwj » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:01 pm

Was talking to a very enthusiastic Vredstein sales chappie at the show, he informed me of a very good club discount scheme if you ring them up and quote your membership number. Really wished I knew of this before purchasing 4 x winter tyres last year and 2 x summer tyres earlier this year :evil:

steveisleofwight

Postby steveisleofwight » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Have a 2.0 diesel saloon on 16-inch wheels. Just changed all four tyres from Pirelli P6000 to Pirelli P7 and have achieved astonishing reduction in road-noise - hope they last as well as the P6000's did, usually acheived about 20,000 miles out of front tyres.

Cheers, Steve