Rear suspension toe out causing tyre wear

Moderator: steveisleofwight

xjscharlie

Rear suspension toe out causing tyre wear

Postby xjscharlie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Hello Folks,
My rear LH tyre on my 3.0L AWD is wearing excessively on the inside edge. I suspect the wheel is towing out and it looks as tho its slightly off the vertical. Wondered if anyone had encountered this and what the problem turned out to be.
Just trying to identify the most likely cause before stripping it down. Thanx in anticipation..Charlie.

Astromorg

Re: Rear suspension toe out causing tyre wear

Postby Astromorg » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:55 pm

The usual suspect is the lower forward arm. Worn bushes allow the lower part of the suspension to move outwards, causing the camber problem. Toe on the rear suspension is adjustable but it can't compensate for worn bushes. Check the condition of all the bushes of the various rear suspension links as you're wasting money if you get it aligned with any significant wear in the set-up.

Be careful in buying replacement parts for the X type suspension, both front and rear. Mondeo parts are NOT interchangeable with the Jaguar ones and many online offerings claim to be suitable for Jaguar, but the claim is based on the many urban myths of the X type being a Mondeo clone. They share a basic design, but not many absolute dimensions.
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2005 X type 2.5 SE Auto

steve_m

Postby steve_m » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:25 pm

I believe that Volvo upper banana arms will fit and are adjustable; I hope so as I have a pair but haven't got around to fitting them yet.
My rear tyres went down to the canvas in 16 months.

Astromorg

Postby Astromorg » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:29 pm

It is true that the adjustable Volvo upper forward arms will fit, albeit I recall a locknut has to be omitted (!). My concern would be using an adjustable upper arm to correct a symptom caused by an incorrect lower arm!

I appreciate that cost is an important element in these decisions and Dealer prices can be prohibitive, but independent Jaguar suppliers like SNG Barratt are usually able to supply both Jaguar OEM parts and cheaper, but still dimensionally correct alternatives. Barratts also give JEC members a 5%(?) discount. I have no connections to SNG B other than as a satisfied customer.
2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe
2005 X type 2.5 SE Auto

xjscharlie

Postby xjscharlie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:39 pm

Many thanx for the prompt replies. Rgds.