Daimler Double Six coolant

Moderators: robv12, Popsjag, h18spk

tom.murray88413

Daimler Double Six coolant

Postby tom.murray88413 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:30 pm

Hi
I have a 1996 Daimler Double Six.
Had an issue today with the cooling system. The top right pipe blew off the rad and smoke billowed out. I re tightened the pipe and filled her back up and all seems fine now.
I’m just looking for possible causes of the pressure, and also the best coolant to put back in. I’m having her flushed this week also.
The coolant light has been temperamental since I got her. Do you have any info on what sensors I should be changing.

Thank you

mike020150

Re: Daimler Double Six coolant

Postby mike020150 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:19 am

Hi,
It's not entirely unusual for hoses to separate from radiator stubs if they still have their spring rather than jubilee-style clips. The clips seem to lose tension with age, especially if the hoses are old.

By 1996, it is likely your car left the factory with red long life antifreeze rather than the classic blue material. There should be an under-bonnet label confirming the type to be used. However, if it's obvious from its colour that the antifreeze has been changed from red to blue in the intervening years, stick with what's in the car now. Mixing red and blue antifreezes is dangerous for the engine, causing major blockages in the radiators.

On most Jaguars, an inconsistent low water warning light is often caused by a failing sensor in the header tank. Alternatively, a poorly bled system (possibly due to incorrect thermostats with no jiggle pins or jiggle pins not correctly located) can cause problems. Mike.
2014 XK Dynamic R convertible; 1977 Daimler Double Six Coupe; XE S

tom.murray88413

Re: Daimler Double Six coolant

Postby tom.murray88413 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:51 am

Hi
Thanks for the reply
I topped up the coolant to get me home. The coolant light kept coming on and off. And the engine is red hot. Iv been advised the stats in the head may be faulty. Now looking at all options and info