Daimler double six

Moderators: robv12, Popsjag, h18spk

[email protected]

Daimler double six

Postby [email protected] » Wed May 08, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi

Iv recently purchased a Daimler Double six 1996.
Iv had it MOT’d and they’ve advised I change the bushes on the rear subframe.

I’m looking for advice on specific parts and where I can buy them from. And is it a big job, I’m hoping I don’t have to plough more than £1000 into the car.

Thank you for your time.

ace

Re: Daimler double six

Postby ace » Thu May 09, 2019 8:10 am

Hi,

Which bushes do they mean?

If they mean the sub-frame mountings the it's not a difficult job and shouldn't cost anywhere near £1000

Dave

poprivet

Postby poprivet » Thu May 09, 2019 8:22 am

Might be worth posting in the X300 section as the rear suspension is quite different to the Series saloons.
1988 3.6 XJ-S coupe
'Remember that the value of your investment can plummet as well as fall'

MarcXJ12

Postby MarcXJ12 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:47 am

Hi

Iv recently purchased a Daimler Double six 1996.
Iv had it MOT’d and they’ve advised I change the bushes on the rear subframe.

I’m looking for advice on specific parts and where I can buy them from. And is it a big job, I’m hoping I don’t have to plough more than £1000 into the car.

Thank you for your time.
Hi, I’m currently in the middle of a full refurb of my 96 XJ12 (x305) rear subframe
(hopefully someone could move this to the Xj40/X300 section)

It’s worth looking at springs and dampers or at least rear damper bushes while you have things apart as these are often shot!
It’s quite an easy job to drop the rear subframe I managed on my drive with 2 axle stands and 1 trolly jack (oh and 2 skateboards to wheel it into the garage)!

Here’s a list of all parts for the rear suspension from

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com

Not all parts are still available but I’ve found some aftermarket or alternative suppliers where needed:

Rear Suspension/Bush part no.s for x300 6.0 V12 (sport not comfort)

MNA3540BD rear suspension damper £136.23 x2

JLM12256 rear spring NLA x2( £84+vat each from normanmotorsltd)

CCC6875 rear subframe bush £26.35 x2 (or PFR27-207 powerflex £63-83pair)

MNA3711AA bushed diff strut NLA x2 (MJA3713AD secondhand x308 mono strut £31 eBay)

MJA3715AB2 Bush for x308 mono strut £12 x4

CAC77601 upper pendulum Bush £12.52 x2

CAC4713 lower pendulum bush £12.24 x2

MNA3750BA rear bumpstop £46.59 x2

Plus any nuts and bolts that need replacing, maybe some pain/under seal, it’s also advised to change the diff oil while you have good access to the drain plug and the fuel filter if it hasn’t been done recently.

All for around £1000 not including labour

Marc
1996 XJ12 X305

PeterDavisX300

Postby PeterDavisX300 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:39 am

If you're going to do the rear suspension, the only best way is to do the whole lot by dropping-out the whole rear frame. I did this just recently, it's fiddly and it's heavy work. I would replace all the bushes and the rear dampers and springs. Be careful when extracting the 'swing-arm bolts, they're £90 a pop! You don't have to use 'Jaguar' parts, but in my experience 'other' bushes are inferior, and personally I wouldn't do 'Poly-bushes' either. It is just a 'nut-and-bolt' removal job, and the difficult part will be lining it all up when putting the frame back in place. I did do a short 'how-to' on here somewhere, might be worth a look, mainly because JLR got one of the bolts wrong that holds up the frame, it's the wrong thread, but nearly goes in, could cause serious trouble! You'll need to un-couple the Propshaft if you take the frame out, so get a new 'Jurid' coupling £90 (again Jaguar bit) the old one is bound to be on the way out. The Diff' side of the joint has a spigot end, so it's tricky to line-up, and don't think once you've disconnected the six bolts holding the Prop' on that it's just going to drop away, the spigot holds it well in place. The three bolts facing the back of the car won't clear the diff' until the frame is dropped, and they'll need to be in place before the frame goes back into position. If you find anything difficult, shout on here, I'll reply eventually. Have fun. I'm going to do the front-end on mine this year, but need to get decent spring compressors for the job.
Peter
1995 X300