Aircon problems

Moderators: robv12, h18spk, Popsjag

malclamour

Aircon problems

Postby malclamour » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:39 pm

My 1993 XJ 6....picked up on eBay for £450.....Lots of TLC needed among which "No cold air " took it to Kwik fit who said something leaking near radiator.....Tried another garage, and they said needs a new condenser ....ordered one and had it fitted...Lovely cold air for a week, and then nothing...upto now have paid out in excess of £300 to these various garages. So now drive with window down.

dhdove

Re: Aircon problems

Postby dhdove » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Malclamour

If it worked fine for a week it sounds as if you've got a leak and lost the gas.

The good news is that the system works! 8)
This should avoid more expensive bills.........depending on where the leak is of course :?

If you wish you could return to your preferred outlet and go for a refil with dye. After a few days they'll be able to identify the location of the leak and you can proceed accordingly.
A return to the garage who fitted the new condenser is adviseable as they should have leak checked the system on recharge.
Good luck
TonyS
XJS Bulletin Board Moderator
2013 Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG, 420bhp. Plenty for me, thank you.

robv12

Postby robv12 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:10 pm

ah the usual "aircon does not work, may need a regas only 40 quid", air con is expensive to correct on any car, the rads on 40's rot out due to muck trapped between the air con rad and water rad also along the bottom where muck collects on the cooling pack cradle. As our friend says above, at lest the system works, you will have a leak, Tony's next suggestion is also correct, a dye test to locate the leak, chances are it will be a rubber O ring, there are many, one at each pipe join, these go hard when the aircon is not in use, the gas escapes, hence the reason to run aircon on a regular basis, keeps these seals nice and soft. my V12 had the same issue when I bought it, parts 10p plus vat, labour, eyewateringly expensive even 14 years ago!!, hundreds of pounds. Option B, windows open, and based on the current weather there is no need for aircon any way!!
88 3.6 XJ40 EX JDHT
88 3.6 XJ40 SOV
93 XJ40 XJ12
94 XJ40 3.2 Majestic Gold
94 XJ40 Daimler Majestic Insignia
93 XJ40 XJ6 3.2 paint test car
97 XJR 300 Manual
97 XJR 300 Manual EXJDHT
55 XTYPE EST 3.0 SP PREM
62 351 LWB PREM LUX

thejpster

Postby thejpster » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Oh, I'm not sure about that. Mine mists up inside if I drive in the rain without the AC on to dry it out.

Hot or wet, AC is really useful. Cold and dry, it's not much use, but I leave it on anyway, for the reasons outlined above.
Jaguar Sovereign 3.2 LWB - one of only 305 built!
Morocco Red with Cream and Coffee Leather
Registered December 95 and factory fitted with Sports Suspension and 16" Dimple Alloys

malclamour

Postby malclamour » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:35 am

Malcolm 1993 XJ 3.2.....Aircon problems...took it to the garage who fitted the new condenser this morning, and have just had a phone call....Needs new 'O' rings and a part connects to condenser, which has to be ordered from Jaguar and could take 2 days...Estimated cost £200 plus VAT. So decided to leave it with them and use "Bus pass" for the time being.

robv12

Postby robv12 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:18 am

O rings are favorite culprits, see my post above, 10 pence a time, but expensive to fit and re gas in the long run, my guess is the other part you need will be the expansion valve near the bulkhead

daimlerdrew

Postby daimlerdrew » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:03 pm

The a/c pump on my '92 XJ40 4 litre has gone up the spout, so i may as well change all the relevant parts and upgrade the system to take the latest coolant. Can somebody please tell me what parts i'll need to change (pump's already off) and how to get all the old coolant from the system so it can be re-filled safely? Can anybody suggest where i can get all the parts at a reasonable price too?
Happy New Year everybody, looks like it's going to be an expensive one.