Teves Braking fault

Moderators: robv12, Popsjag, h18spk

sayers

Teves Braking fault

Postby sayers » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi all,

Posting this on behalf of my dad, he has a K reg , 3.2 xj6 Automatic with a Teves braking setup, the problem he has found is that the Brake fluid discharges back into the Brake Fluid reservoir overnight, his question is , what is the likely fault , is it a leaking seal in the ABS unit, or the pump, if so how do we tell which part is faulty, Or is the fault likely to be something entirely different ?

Can anyone offer guidance

Thanks

Sayers

Brakebuster

Re: Teves Braking fault

Postby Brakebuster » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:09 pm

I encountered this on my Teves system when I first owned her

my problem turned out to be too much fluid in the system , there is a MAX mark on the side of the reservoir, if this is exceed , the fluid will back bleed and come out of the vent of the cap over night after being used, a quirk of the system I think

when I reduced the fluid to the correct level I never had the issue again

this can happen if the pads have been changed as you push the excess fluid back into the reservoir with the thicker pads etc ( btw , this should never be done, as the main block doesn't like it )

otherwise these systems are a pig to work on and get them right

BB
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2004 2.1V6 X-Type Saloon in platinum silver for the good wife
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

used to have
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8 in Seafrost

sayers

Postby sayers » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:48 pm

just to add a little more information, , I am now told that :-

The brake fluid is creeping back from the ABS Unit into the Brake Fluid Reservoir overnight, this means that when you start the car, the ABS unit has to re pressurise the ABS system before the ABS light will turn off, this cant be right, anybody have thoughts on where the fault may lie, does this mean there is a faulty seal within the ABS unit , or does this mean there is a faulty check valve, faulty seal or other problem with the pump.

Does anybody know if there are FULL complete repair kits available for the Teves systems, and if so where from in the UK ?.

Thoughts please Chaps

Brakebuster

Postby Brakebuster » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:07 pm

yes, this is whey the system has a pump , and primes the system at every start, the longer the period of time between start the longer the priming, anything more than 20 seconds means the pressure bottle bladder has a fault, or the pump does

please see above for other explanation

BB

btw, no spares what so ever, anywhere, and no refurbishment kits, its replace with known good, or convert back to a standard system if there is a fault
1989 5.3ltr V12 XJS Coupé FULLY RESTORED
2004 2.1V6 X-Type Saloon in platinum silver for the good wife
1994 3.2S XJ40 in Morocco Red with Doeskin interior

used to have
1999 4ltr Sovereign XJ8 in Seafrost

sayers

Postby sayers » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:09 pm

Thankyou for your response, much appreciated.