Tool for stretching the handbrake springs

Moderators: robv12, Popsjag, h18spk

timedwards

Tool for stretching the handbrake springs

Postby timedwards » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi

I have managed to re-fit my handbrake shoes today and I have to say it was a nightmare of a job. In the process I accidentally hit myself in the face whilst stupidly holding a screwdriver in an attempt to pull the spring. Fortunately it was not the screwdriver that made impact so lesson learned! (I have just ordered some hold down washers since the one hole in the stone guard has eroded - the reason for dismantling in the first place.) However, I was wondering if there is a tool which stretches the springs for re-fitting so that I can do the job with less of a danger element to it next time? I have seen some pliers on the internet but when I look at their use on Youtube they are not doing the same thing as their handbrake systems look completely different to the system on my car. I don't want to buy the wrong tool. Can anyone advise please?

Thanks Tim
XE R-Sport (25t) petrol - daily driver

X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!

ptjs1

Re: Tool for stretching the handbrake springs

Postby ptjs1 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:22 pm

Tim,

Both Sealey and Laser make a very similarly-shaped pair of pliers. The Sealey part number is VS035. You can pick them up for about £14.

I agree that it's a pain (often literally) to refit the springs. From memory, I think I was able to do my XJS by assembling the springs on the shoes then fitting and flipping the shoes into position on the fitting heels. It is one of my least favourite jobs on the car!

Good luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

timedwards

Re: Tool for stretching the handbrake springs

Postby timedwards » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi Paul

Thanks for the speedy reply, I will google that part number now as that is certainly money well spent. I too ended up fitting the springs and then prizing the shoes in place. I used two screw drivers and could have done with three hands!

Thanks for the help - much appreciated.

Cheers Tim
XE R-Sport (25t) petrol - daily driver

X330 Daimler Six
Still a work in progress!