Changing Fluid

Moderators: robv12, Popsjag, h18spk

PeterDavisX300

Changing Fluid

Postby PeterDavisX300 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:41 am

As soon as the weather warms up, (which may be sometime up here in North Scotland) I intend to change the brake-fluid. I was just going to gravity bleed the old stuff out whilst putting new in. Should I start from the furthest or nearest bleed-nipple? Is there anything I'll need to watch-out for?
Thanks
Peter
1995 X300

ptjs1

Re: Changing Fluid

Postby ptjs1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Peter,

You won't be able to effectively flush your system using just gravity with the bleed nipples open. You need to bleed the system properly as per the manual. I would also consider (carefully) removing the reservoir and fully cleaning it as sediment is likely to have collected in the lower recesses.

God luck

Paul
1995 XJS 4.0 Convertible
1980 XJ-S Pre-HE
Jaguar 4.2 Supercharged engine (but not with a Jaguar body..)

PeterDavisX300

Postby PeterDavisX300 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:48 am

Thanks for that Paul.
1995 X300

oldtimer

Postby oldtimer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:22 pm

Peter,
I have taken to using an Ezzy- Bleed Kit from Halfords in recent years. It works a treat

It comprises of an additional plastic reservoir, some hose and adaptors to connect it to the vehicle reservoir. Then it is pressurised from the front tyre. This allows a one person operation to attend to the bleeding beneath. Start at the furthest away. Note there may be a bleed nipple on the master cylinder as per my S type.

I nail a cut off 6 pint plastic milk bottle to a block of wood and stand the additional reservoir in it to prevent it falling over. Stuff in copious amounts of rags around the area to collect any spills. One learns the hard way !!!

Brake fluid is an excellent paint stripper.

I much prefer a piece of rubber hose to go onto the bleed nipple - better than plastic pipe for me - and bleed into a clear jar so you can see what comes out.

To reduce the aggravation of the job I would try and avoid allowing the brake fluid level to drop allowing air to enter the system

Hope that helps - Best of luck , tell us how you get on

Oldtimer