XJR6 Tyre Options

Moderators: robv12, Popsjag, h18spk

PeterDavisX300

Re: XJR6 Tyre Options

Postby PeterDavisX300 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Steve.
Yep, Toyo are ok. They are a medium priced Tyre, with respect among most that use them sensibly. For the X300 '235' is wide enough in my opinion, and a more sensible '50' aspect-ratio would be a good choice. Always go onto the manufacturer website and get their recommendation for tyre pressures, or if they don't provide, then find another manufacturer that does and use this as a 'starting-point' watching your tyre-wear very carefully over the first few thousand miles. I'm not going to explain how to read tyres, their wear, their 'toe-in/out' characteristics on here, but it might be worth looking that up on-line, or perhaps go to the Michelin website.
Having worked in the tyre industry many years ago, I firmly believe that some of the top manufacturers are now living on their legends, and in fact there are many tyres out there that suit all sorts of cars, that are just as good, or perhaps better, for a fraction of the price. Unfortunately, people don't seem to know enough about one of the most important parts of their car, without Tyres, a car won't steer or brake effectively!
Peter
1995 X300

steve_m

Postby steve_m » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:29 pm

Thanks for the reply Peter, very much appreciated.
I vividly remember, whilst transiting a roundabout backwards in my MGB, promising myself never to fit Pirelli Cinturatos to any car that I owned in the future.
It's a shame, given the state of the roads in Wiltshire, that they don't make 17 inch tractor tyres; they would be fine around here.
I have spent a lot of time looking at websites about tyre characteristics, wet/dry handling, noise, fuel efficiency and now I think I have a vague idea what it is all about.
Toe in/toe out is kind of irrelevant to me; i don't loon around anymore (I had an MGC Roadster for 18 years and that taught me (quite swiftly) the value of the slow in/fast out approach to the bendy bits).
The rear tyre wear on my X Type was horrendous until I had the tracking done; less than 10,000 miles and they were down to the canvas on the inners.
Anyway, a bit moot at the moment as I Just spotted that the front tyres on her Freelander need changing.
That's always interesting as you should change all 4 tyres at the same time because of the drive train system (who designs this crap and how do they get away with it?) or put the new tyres on the back.
I always put the new tyres on the front; traction is way less important than steering.

cafcpete

Postby cafcpete » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:25 pm

I am just having my wheels refurbished at A1 Alloys and was wondering about fitting new tyres.
I would go down to 225/50/17 (8.9” instead of 10”).
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

After a lot of research I think the best tyre at the moment is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 . http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Miche ... port-4.htm

In the size I wish it’s about £115.

I’m hoping to get the car back on Wednesday (need to make my mind up on Monday about tyres), so will let you know!

Peter
1996 Jaguar XJR6(auto)
2002 Jaguar X350 4.2(auto)

PeterDavisX300

Postby PeterDavisX300 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:30 pm

Michelin are a great tyre. Top of the range, ................But, I'd wonder about mileage? All the top tyres are really great, For-What-They-Do. Each tyre manufacturer will profess to do, all sorts of different things, Grip / Mileage / wet-grip / allsorts. What YOU need to decide is what you want your car to do, and then match the tyre for that. Go ask an independent small tyre seller that has been in business for a long time what he/she would recommend, you might be surprised.
1995 X300

cafcpete

Postby cafcpete » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:22 am

I’m not after great mileage, no more than 3000 a year. If I’m honest the tyres will need replacing because of old age before they wear out!

If it’s comfortable, and will stop that critical extra meter shorter in an emergency then I am happy.
1996 Jaguar XJR6(auto)
2002 Jaguar X350 4.2(auto)