Best carb set up

Moderators: Aceman, ecosselynx

maxakarudy

Best carb set up

Postby maxakarudy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:38 pm

I have a XJ6 S3 engine I want to put into a MK2 Saloon, I bought ii as rolling shell, so it's lost it's originality.
I'm going to put carbs on it, so is there a best choice option with 2" carbs and manifolds.
Cheers
Martin

Martec

Re: Best carb set up

Postby Martec » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:39 am

Hi,

That sounds like an interesting project, as it nolonger has its original engine the higher value of originality or sympathetic ungrates has gone so that leaves the door wide open.

Space will be your limiting factor, with the original brake and clutch master cylinders in place it would be almost impossible to fit triple carbs. Possibly a 420/420G inlet manifold and twin carbs would fit and I believe has been done.

I saw and photographed a fantastic ungrade of 6 throttle bodies on something similar to a DCOE manifold and the master cylinders were moved to the other side of the engine bay or something similar. To be honest I would go with bike throttle bodies and an after market ECU (Canems), David lives just down the road and I have his ECU's on my MkII and Throttlebody injected Marina). Tune by laptop.

I personally would be very interested to hear of your progress, there are also numberous upgrades to brakes and steering plus suspension resets as documented on here, to keep it on the tarmac.

Best Wishes

Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.

1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated

piman

Postby piman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Hello Martin,

the twin 2 " S.U.s and manifold from an early XJ6 would probably be the easiest to get?

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I.,2.5 X Type Estate, 564 Hymer Motorhome

maxakarudy

Postby maxakarudy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:35 pm

Thanks Alec and Brian,
I was thinking of keeping it on the cheap end and staying with twin 2" SU's, it was the manifold I had doubts about, as there seem to be only a water cooled or std version, that I knew of.
I suppose the big mod that I'm contemplating is making it a 2 door, I love sheet metal work and thinks it's a challenge with in my capabilties to pull if off, I'll let you guys be the judge of that one day :D
Last edited by maxakarudy on Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martec

Postby Martec » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:17 pm

A two door soft top has been made before as has fitting an AJ6 engine.

Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.

1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated

ecosselynx

Postby ecosselynx » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:36 am

Hi

If your any good on the electronics or know someone who can help, then I'd keep it on the injection system. As for the rest your imagination and pocket are the controllers.

Look forward to read/hearing more.
bye-o

John H.

suarthardy

Postby suarthardy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi Martin

I like the 2 door idea but how about taking it a step further and moving the rear windscreen forward by 6 inches or so to make it a close coupled coupe. Replace the 2 pieces of rear door glass with a single side window a la E-Type. Done right it would make people who know Mk2's stop and think. There is a chance it might end up looking like an XK150 Coupe but that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. A couple of session on Photoshop would help to visualise it. The more I think about it, the more I like it!

Regarding the engine. Fuel injection by throttle bodies if finances permit. Along with individual coil packs it'll get that perfectly balanced 6 running like a Swiss watch. Would also give great potential for tuning as time goes on.

Regards
Stuart
Stuart

1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR