Outer Door Glass Seal

Moderators: Aceman, ecosselynx

Goss

Outer Door Glass Seal

Postby Goss » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Many years ago at a JEC Southern Day at Beaulieu I saw a Mk2 with an upgraded outer window/door weather seal to stop water running into the door.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for this upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Goss

Martec

Re: Outer Door Glass Seal

Postby Martec » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm

14 years ago I rebuilt my doors from scratch (they were rotten) and tried to make sure the water would easily run back out of them, 2 years ago I had to replace a few corners of the rebuilt doors due to corrosion again (I had used dinitrol, but not recoated it every 3-4 years). I recently looked at a friends 240 to see how Jaguar had improved this, they used a lipseal type strip along the window gap and then used a narrower chrome finisher strip to help hide it.

I have recently bought seal strips with the intension of fitting them to fit partially ontop of the original wide chrome strip.

The MkII has its door seal rubbers to seal between the outer edge of the door and door reveal, this can close off the drain holes at the bottom of the door. The original idea was that small plates were used on the bottom of the doors at the drain holes to deflect the seal and allow the doors to drain.

I have never seen these for sale and can't remember if I saw a picture of them, but I made a small set of dies and pressed some out of thin stainless steel. They are still in place and the holes are clear, but not all the water gets away and so rots the door.

Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.

1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated

ecosselynx

Postby ecosselynx » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi

While the 340/240 system was an improvement on the original, it's no match to modern car systems.
I agree with Brian, better make sure the water when it does get in can get out, followed by regular applications of Waxoil etc. Only additional suggestion I'd have is to add a couple of extra drains at each corner, as pointed out is where the door will start to go.
bye-o

John H.

Goss

Postby Goss » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks for your replies.

I will inspect the inside of the doors during the winter, last time was about 5 years ago and whilst there was no rust there was leaf/tree autumn debris which was small enough to get past the brush strip.

The restorer had poured waxoyl into the doors (1999) and this puddled in the corners but all of the holes were clear so no problems at that time. Expecting some rust but hate the thought of window water just pouring through the doors.

Goss