Mark 2 rear seat belts

Moderators: Aceman, ecosselynx

TerryBeck

Mark 2 rear seat belts

Postby TerryBeck » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Has anyone any experience of fitting Securon auto rear seatbelts to a Mark 2? Does the inertia reel itself bolt OK on to the anchorage point on the rear parcel shelf?

Thanks
Terry

ecosselynx

Re: Mark 2 rear seat belts

Postby ecosselynx » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi Terry

I'm not familiar with the system, but its the only place it can really go. Will the dealer not let you try fit it, or at least give you all the measurements to check it!
bye-o

John H.

TerryBeck

Postby TerryBeck » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks John, that might be the way to go. Barratts are the suppliers and they're usually very good. Nevertheless I'd prefer to avoid the risk of having to pay the return postage! I guess someone else must have fitted them. I'm just wondering if they have to be mounted on the boot, with the belt looping up through a protected slot in the parcel shelf. I really don't want to do that.

Terry

TerryBeck

Postby TerryBeck » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:26 pm

Sorry, that should say "in" the boot!

ecosselynx

Postby ecosselynx » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi Terry

Have you asked SNG B just a thought! If their supplying them for Mk2's you would have thought they would know how to fit them.
bye-o

John H.

Martec

Postby Martec » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Not sure if it helps and probably not what you want to hear, but I have fitted rear seat belts to our MkII. I used Quickfit (having been very satisfied with their service before) and specified exactly what I wanted including the belt lengths. I then cut slots in the rear parcel shelf and mounted the belt reels on top of the rear wheel arches after having welded in reinforcing plates as I didn't think the parcel shelf was strong enough.

In my other old car the shelf again wasn't strong enough but there was more room so I made up strong brackets between the underside of the shelf and the rear wheel arches and then bolted it all into place.

The seat belts have been used on both cars but fortunately not in anger.

Best of luck

Brian
MY2000 3ltr S type manual standard car with leather seats, cruise control and mistral blue metallic paint.

1961 3.8 MkII manual, Indigo blue, nolonger runs on LPG, everything else uprated

TerryBeck

Postby TerryBeck » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks guys.

I too thought SNG Barratt would be able to help, but sadly (and, in my experience, unusually) they couldn't have been less helpful.

As for mounting on the wheelarches, that is what I'd like to avoid. Since there are mounting points on the parcel shelf base, I'd like to use them. My concern is just whether there is enough clearance for the reels to fit between the shelf and the rear screen.

Cheers

Terry

TerryBeck

Postby TerryBeck » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:47 am

Just to set the record straight and to bring this to a conclusion, I've now spoken to someone else at SNG Barratt and he couldn't have been more helpful!

The answer is that, as I suspected, the inertia reels won't fit on to the existing mounting points on the rear parcel shelf because they're to big. So to fit them, new mounting points have to be installed, inboard of the existing ones and the shelf has to be strengthened. I've gone for static belts.

Terry