Heater Upgrade

Moderators: Aceman, ecosselynx

Barry153

Heater Upgrade

Postby Barry153 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:08 pm

I wish to upgrade the heater in my 1964 Mk2 and am undecided what to do.

Some recommend utilising a Metro fan, while the other more expensive option is to purchase an upgraded full heater from a commercial company.

has anyone experience of either method or indeed any other solution?

If so I would be delighted to hear from you.

Thanks,

Barry153

Hi All,

I eventually fitted a metro motor and it has improved the situation somewhat but last week the car steamed up badly and i found wet carpets on the passenger side.
Yes the matrix has now started leaking! I have taken it out of the car and I am laying the car up for the winter. Does anyone know how I can improve the situation further by improving the matrix? I looked for an uprated matrix but the only one I found was for a late E- Type and i am told it will not fit a Mk2.
As i now have the winter to try to make the best out of this I wouls appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,

Barry153
Last edited by Barry153 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piman

Re: Heater Upgrade

Postby piman » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:19 pm

Hello Barry,

have yet to tackle mine but I think the priority is a larger matrix, which in turn may benefit from a greater capacity fan. Dependant on funds, but I expect I shall be going the scrap yard route?

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I.,2.5 X Type Estate, 564 Hymer Motorhome

Martec

Postby Martec » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi,

I have two metro fans fitted, one on the heater and the other in the boot as an extrractor, with the car modified to allow through flow of air (jaguar didn't achieve this until the series 3 XJ6).

As the original fan requires removal of the heater box to separate the fan from the motor, I cut a large hole in the heater casing to allow the metro fan to be fitted or removed externally, using only part of the metro casing to mount it onto the jaguar heater casing.

My local radiator repairer fitted a heater core to allow more air flow, then I enlarged all the holes in the car body to allow more air to flow. the very small air distributor below the dash was replaced with one 3 times bigger in section and housing adjustable vents from a rover 800 series.

The rear parcel shelf had two holes cut in it and two speakers mounted about an 1" above with grills either side to hide the holes.

The whole of the second fan was mounted over a hole cut to right of the boot floor behind the wheel arch.

It seems to work fine even in the height of summer, but it would be nice to fit an aircon system from a modern car for the present gas.

Brian

ecosselynx

Postby ecosselynx » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi Barry

Years ago I used a metro motor and impeller to inprove my heating, the XK engine produces good heat, its just a matter of ensuring the heater system is getting good water flow through it and that all the flaps and seals in the heater box are working properly.
At the time I modified my system there was not all these other options available and having stripped the system, had a good look at it and got all the flaps and seals working correctely, figured the weak point to be the the slow motor speed coupled to the heavy metal impeller.
The one I found most suitable in a local scrap yard that would fit and do the job was off a Metro, which cost a fiver, so could hardly argue.
Anyway its been working fine for me over the last 15 years, so at a fiver that will do for me.
I can send you a couple of photo's of it installed if your interested.
bye-o

John H.

JAGAZ

Postby JAGAZ » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Post some pics on here if you don`t mind .I would be very interested.
Cheers,Howard.
The wife is doin my ed in,the kids are doin my ed in, the bike is doin my ed in and the jag is doin my ed in.
BUT I WOULDN`T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!
Proud owner of a 67 Jaguar 420.

ecosselynx

Postby ecosselynx » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:30 am

Hi Howard

Please find the attached photo's and a few lines on how I converted my Mk2. Using a Metro heater motor and plastic fan/impeller should improve the amount of heat pushed into the car or onto the screen. Although not a straight bolt on, it really doesn't take much. I used the two metro motor body screws to hold the motor onto the heater box, this just means drilling two new holes and fit rubber blanks into the old ones, in order to mount it this way I did have to open up the centre hole a little to get it to sit close, I also used a couple of small grommets between the motor and casing rather than just hard mount the motor.
From memory the 420 and S-type heater box has a panel that carries the motor and fan/impeller.

While your taking all the trouble to fit the new motor and fan/impeller, remember to ensure the matrix is well flushed out and all the flaps are working correctly with seals in place, also ensure that the pipes to and from the heater are clear and clogged-up. Once all fitted back on the car, bleed it through at the heater to ensure no air locks.

Warm motoring
Attachments
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
bye-o

John H.

Barry153

Postby Barry153 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses, they are certainly food for thought and i think I will start by trying to obtain a Metro fan and weighing the job up!
I have seen the pictures posted by ecosse lynx which give me some idea,
Again, many thanks,
Barry

JAGAZ

Postby JAGAZ » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Yes ,thanks very much for that.I`m about to renew all my water hoses as they are past it now after 9 years and 2 thousand miles,so a good time to convert to Metro power :D .
The wife is doin my ed in,the kids are doin my ed in, the bike is doin my ed in and the jag is doin my ed in.
BUT I WOULDN`T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!
Proud owner of a 67 Jaguar 420.

sweller

Postby sweller » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Is it worth enquiring if a radiator rebuilding place can recore the existing heater matrix.

They may have more modern and efficient core materials - even if they don't have new wonder new materials a new core isn't going to be clogged with scale and sediment or the vanes blocked with flies, grease and fluff.

If it is new materials it's going to be hidden in the original housing so any out of place modern materials would be hidden away.

Has to be cheaper than the commercially available upgrades?
Simon
Brighton
Sussex

ecosselynx

Postby ecosselynx » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Hi Simon

By all means change the heater matrix if its blocked or in bad condition, as you say its hidden inside the heater box. While I'm not sure what impeller your car has, my 63 car had a metal impeller the little motor didn't shift the air through it. That coupled to the flaps not working properly etc. When I did this back in 96 Metro fan motors and impellers were easy to get in any car breaker yard. Any way you do it, that gets the heat from the motor to the matrix and from there into the car is fine by me.
bye-o

John H.