Motor swap

Moderators: Aceman, ecosselynx

JAGAZ

Motor swap

Postby JAGAZ » Thu May 14, 2009 9:42 pm

I am considering doing a motor and auto box swap in my 420 using the power from an XJ40.Has any one ever heard of this being done before and if so do you have a contact or can you point me in the direction of someone who knows something of what i`m considering.Any help at all would be fantastic.Gotta be cheaper than an engine rebuild and maybe get a real 200 + bhp rather than the 60`s guesstimate which is more likely 150bhp.

Martec

Postby Martec » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:22 pm

Hi
I know a guy who fitted and AJ6 engine and box (XJ40) into his series 3 'E'type and it is running, the only problem he had was the V12 gearbox has a cable drive for the speedo, but the AJ6 box is an electronic speedo. Knowing him he is not using a speedo, but it is possible to knock up a speed pickup off the transmission somewhere. Its too good an idea not to run with, The AJ6 or AJ16 engines seem to be bullit proof, pentroof 16valve heads for power and economy.

Best of luck.

Brian

JAGAZ

Postby JAGAZ » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Cheers ,i`m going to build a jig to the same dimensions as the 420 engine bay and sort out the mounts etc so that i can do a simple bolt in engine swap and prop/loom change.Apparently the box from the 3.6 xjs sorts out the speedo pickup problem.Would love to put an X300 supercharged unit in but that may just be a little silly :twisted: .