Seats

Moderators: Aceman, ecosselynx

jwment

Seats

Postby jwment » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:42 pm

My car is currently fitted with Vinyl covered seats and the drivers one badly needs new springs. So a leather re-skin is due or more probably a complete change of seats. However, having been spoilt by modern cars, and being in our sixties, my wife and I find the Mk2 seats are quite uncomfortable for traveling any distance.

John Kelly (Jag breaker) isn't far away, so I will soon be checking out a few measurements on such as XJ6, XJS and XJ40 models, but I wondered if anyone else has tried to graft alternative seats into a Mk2 and has any sugestions of a source vehicle.

Much as I hate to say this here... I am seriously considering the front seats from a Mondeo, if they will fit. Having just spent five days a week for five years in the saddle of a Modeo Taxi, either they are exceptionally comfortable seats, or maybe I have been moulded to fit them. :roll:

Moomin

Postby Moomin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:45 pm

Jw

My Daimler V8 has been fitted with what appear to be Series 3 XJ6 seats, these are very supportive and even have adjustable lumber supports. They seem to be an easy fit, they were fitted by the previous owner and he appears to have used some 90 deg angle steel which bolt to th eoriginal seat mounts on thefloor pan, the XJ6 seats then bolt to the angle steel. to make things look nice he has covered the steel in sticky back vinyl. I have to say they certainly do not look at all out of place and are very comfortable.

Mike

Moomin

Postby Moomin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:45 pm

Jw

My Daimler V8 has been fitted with what appear to be Series 3 XJ6 seats, these are very supportive and even have adjustable lumber supports. They seem to be an easy fit, they were fitted by the previous owner and he appears to have used some 90 deg angle steel which bolt to th eoriginal seat mounts on thefloor pan, the XJ6 seats then bolt to the angle steel. to make things look nice he has covered the steel in sticky back vinyl. I have to say they certainly do not look at all out of place and are very comfortable.

Mike

jwment

Postby jwment » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:47 am

Thanks for that Mike. When I go to John Kelly's I'll pay particular attention to the XJ6 seats. At least I now know they can be made to fit. I had some doubts as the XJs in general (especially the XJ40s) are quite a bit wider bodied than a Mk2.

Johnny M

Moomin

Postby Moomin » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:15 am

Johnny

I'd be interested to know what Kelly's is like and what sort of stuff he has as it is only just up the road from me also.

Mike

jwment

Postby jwment » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:05 pm

Went there once a couple of years back, to source a front wing for an XJ40. Very wide choice. Not only found a good one in the right colour, but it had the rare '88 double gold stripe on it too.

Well worth a visit, but only if your heart can stand the shock of seeing hundreds of Jags laying rotting in a feild. Not too good for rare models though. Mostly the XJ eras, but there are the odd treasures tucked away in the corners.

Staff seemed friendly enough and allowed me to browse unattended.

JWM

john_cunningham

Does anyone have definitive answer on which seats fit best?

Postby john_cunningham » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:59 pm

Hi Guys,

Did anyone go and have a look at, or actually install a set of seats from a more modern Jag, XJS etc? If so can you let me know please.

Cheers John.

Martec

Postby Martec » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:07 pm

Hi John,

I suffered with my old reuter seats and had them re-upholstered, my friends who are shorter than me were happy with them, but at 6' 2" I wasn't

I tried Cavalier seats that were brilliant but looked wrong and at present have a set of XJ40 Daimler seats in (veneered picnic trays included), better but not good for 260 miles a day in France. Removal of the uprated front springs (the car was rocking fore and aft and giving neck ache) and the XJ40 seats feel a lot better if I keep my elbows down!!!!!

The XJ40 seats are very firm so I've lengthened some of the links to the springs in the backrest to make the seat fit me better (sit in not on the seat).

I've been told face-lift XJS seats are good and XJR are very good but how much is down to the cars springing???

Brian

PS All seats have required new mounting made up to suit.

smiffy

Postby smiffy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi folks
Sorry to be boring, but my wife and I find the standard Mk2 seats quite comfortable! We did a four-hour trip back from the meeting Thoresby Hall to Southampton in one hit, and found the ride more comfortable than our SEAT Alhambra (which is pretty comfortable anyway). The Mk2 has covered 85k in its 43 years, but the seats are still almost pristine.
Happy cruising, Dave

jwment

Postby jwment » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:49 am

Hi Guys.
I have to admit that I have not progressed at all on this subject due to other more pressing things, like rust, one sided brakes, electrics, and now the clutch seems to be playing up as well. Comfortable seats have sorta dropped down the priority list.

However, it is useful to know that XJ40 seats can be made to fit as there will be a wide choice of these in Kelly's. I found them very comfortable in the early XJ40 that I scrapped a year or two back, but I thought they might be a bit too wide to fit in a Mk2. Glad to learn otherwise.

Johnny

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:56 pm

My 3.8 is nearly finished being restored/modernised amongst other mods I have these electric XJ seats retrimmed and fitted.

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv24 ... 000012.jpg
http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv24 ... 019310.jpg
http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv24 ... 000009.jpg

JAGAZ

Postby JAGAZ » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:06 pm

Now that`s very nice.I have struggled with the decision of wether to change to similar or stick with the standard 420 seats as i sort of like the way the fronts make a sort of bench seat.The picknick tables in the back may help to make my decision though.

CRAIGMK2

Postby CRAIGMK2 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi, ive all but decided to put xj40 seat in my daimler 250, but one thing i was wondering do all the model of xj40 have electric seats and is it relatively easy to get them to work or do i need an external ECU
thanks
craig