Wheels

Moderators: Aceman, ecosselynx

jwment

Wheels

Postby jwment » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 pm

I do agree that chrome wires LOOK great on a Mk2, but as I want to use mine regularly and often, I'd rather give the mainenance issues a miss, so I've opted to stay with steels for now. BUT ... are there other options?

I notice that most other Jags do have 5 stud hubs, but are any of the later pattern wheels usable on a Mk2. I had a nice set of (Non Jag) alloys on a now deceased XJ40 a while back that would have really suited the MK2, but sod's law says the centre boss would be different. Anyone know better or used anything different.

What I'd really like to fit are some early 60's style Slot Mags or Centerlines, but these don't seem to be very available nowadays. The only ones I seen so far have been in the hotrod stye of wide rears with skinny fronts, or just in pairs.

So if you see any pictures of Mk2's wearing "different" wheels, please let me know so that we can exchange piccys.

jwment

Postby jwment » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Well, from the huge amount of comment this post raised, I assume everyone else is firmly in the "Wires" camp, eh?

Or maybe it's just that "Slot mags" are even rarer than I thought. Honest guys, back in the sixties, they were quite common on Mk2s, but then again, back then MK2s were quite common too.

I guess all the mags dissapeared into the breakers along with most of the gas guzzlers during the previous fuel crisis.

Guess I'll just have to stick to steels and keep monitoring the "Hot Rod" sites.

Meanwhile, if anyone sees a half decent set of rim embelishers, please let me know.

Johnny

smiffy

Postby smiffy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:45 am

Hi Johnny
I've opted to stay with steels too, as I want to use my car regularly. However, I've seen some five stud BMW wheels on the Mk2 (they have the same PCD).
Best wishes, David

Martec

Postby Martec » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:56 pm

Hi Johnny,

I'm like you, I like the look of wires and saw a 'dutiful wife' at a concourse cleaning them. My suggestion of similar to my wife gave forth to another suggestion!!!

So I have steels on and some scruffy hubcaps and rim embelishers. David Manners or SNG sell new ones but they are chrome. If they were SS then I might persuade the management to give me a present.

Some years ago I did see a MkII with alloys that were the imitation of wire wheels. The same style as fitted to the Rover SDI, don't know what they were from as they were not liked by the management so never enquired.

Brian

suarthardy

Postby suarthardy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:23 pm

In my mis-spent hot-rodding youth it was common to fit a Jag IRS (usually narrowed S-Type) to whatever you were building because it was a self contained unit. As a result there were a lot of Jaguar pattern alloy wheels used. These were commonly Wolfrace and Cobra Supaslots or, for those who could afford them, Compomotive Split Rims and Centrelines.

I am sure there will be lots around sitting in garages waiting for somebody to find a purpose for them, although whether they are worth using I wouldn't like to say.

I like the Dunlop style wheel as used on D-Types and racing E-Types. These are available new in knock on and peg drive types but are expensive (so are wires). SNG Barratt sell them but I'm sure you can get a better price if you shop around.

I have steels on my 420 Sovereign and am dithering over fitting wires because the car looks great on the steels painted body colour. Rim embellishers just set them off a treat.

Regards
Stuart

jwment

Postby jwment » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Smiffy, Your mention of BMW wheels on a jag sparked a memory.

My XJ40 had non-jag alloys, that looked a bit like wires (Well, through steamed up glasses maybe), and I always suspected they were of BMW origin. They suited the car OK, but their main advantage was that I could get Khumo tyres to fit them for £50. Whereas a tyre to fit it's origional steel spare would cost £210 each.

Now, if you've seen BMW wheels on a Mk2, thinking obliquely, maybe it follows that XJ40, or even earlier XJ6 wheels, just might fit on a Mk2. Also Brian mentions a possibility of Rover wheels.

They are all 5 stud, with the same PCD, as are Chevrolet, Dodge, and American Ford, but the size of the centering hole for the hub can vary.

I guess the only way I'm gonna resolve this is to take my Mk2 up to Kellys and play with a few different wheels. Can't do that at the moment as I've got it partially dismantled to investigate the wiring, brakes, steering, etc.

I was hoping that someone before me had allready done the experimentation. Considering how long the Mk2 has been around, all this must have been played with before, but I guess the experienced modders and rebuilders have all moved on from this humble forum, eh?

Johnny

jwment

Postby jwment » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:07 pm

Stuart,
I too had a mis-spent youth on Hot Rods, but only as a drooling onlooker.

A set of Wolfrace Slotmags are exactly what I'm looking for, but they don't make them any more. As you say, there's probably hundreds of them laying around in garages, but finding them ain't so easy.

Twice now I've latched onto reasonably priced Centerlines, but never a matched set of four. They always come Hotrod style as skinny fronts and superwide rears.

The Slotmag was the first alloy wheel that Wolfrace ever made, and they've admitted to me that there's never a day goes past without someone asking about them. You'd think they'd get the message and start making them again, wouldn't you?

Johnny

JAGAZ

Postby JAGAZ » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:59 pm

In the pages of the club mag in the racing section i have often seen Mk2`s and S-types on later jag alloys ,so maybe a question on the racing forum may get some answers.

Martec

Postby Martec » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi

Just an odd thought, when I was building my car I got an XJ6 steel wheel from the scrapyard and found it fitted well and at 6" rims would allow 205 section tyres. On the back all was fine, but at the front they hit the suspension and restricted turning circle. as a result I'm still on standard steel wheels (185/15).

Brian

simon4253

Postby simon4253 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:40 pm

hi all I tried series 3 steels on my daimler v8 but wouldn,t clear calipers.i did buy a rotten series 2 from a scrap yard 3 years ago as it had brown painted wolfraces on it. they took 4 weeks to clean and now sitting on my mates 420 looking very cool! the 205/70s do just scuff the rear arches on big bumps and hard cornering but not badly. The mark 2 is still in progress so not tried them on that yet. mate has set of rough wolfraces bought off ebay for #150 and may sell them. as long as I get mine back first! bought xj40 for aftermarket wheels for series 3 but had to modify rear arches to fit as offset is different so do check first!

jwment

Postby jwment » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:08 pm

I just knew there must have been others gone down this road before me. Keep these experiences coming boys.

As I expected, there's a lot more to it than just matching the stud pattern and rim diameter. Trial and error seems to be the obvious way forward, but that means getting my car to the breakers, as they ain't gonna let me keep taking wheels home on a try and return basis are they.

So until the car is a roadgoing entity, wheels of any kind, other than the existing steels, are on a low priority.

I notice there's a full set of S-type steels advertised in Jag World Mag that are complete with chrome caps, trim rings and good tyres. Not too far from me either, so I must try to visit. Never know, a flash of cash just might tempt him to part with the chrome bits. Last thing I need is five more wheels and tyres littering up the front drive.

peterdpps

Postby peterdpps » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:22 pm

Wires look hard work particularly chrome.

My 240 has chrome hub caps and rimbellishers. I've owned the car 20 odd years and the chrome is still very good. I put on new hub caps when I first had the car but the rimbelishers are the same as when I bought it.

I have to say that IMHO painted wheels with chrome trim really suit the shape and period of the Mark 2.

Zorro

Re: Wheels

Postby Zorro » Thu May 03, 2012 10:17 am

Hi,

I'm now looking for a new wire wheel for MK2 replacing an old one. I'm wondering what is different between stainless steel and chrome wheel? The price for stainless is higher than chrome wheel, but for rust-free , I don't know. MWS offering a full stainless wire wheel while Dayton offer a Chromes wheel with a stainless steel spokes and nipple.

Chaisak