MK2 Stage Tuning kits

Moderators: Aceman, ecosselynx

JyrkiLaukaa

MK2 Stage Tuning kits

Postby JyrkiLaukaa » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:29 pm

The following message is not relevant anymore. I found Jaguar's official Tuning Manual.

Hi,

Is there any place where you could find more information about factory installed MK2 (2.4 liter) tuning kits? There are three leves (1,2 and 3).

Level 3 is the most radical as it includes double exhaust pipes and SU carburators. Is the exhaust pipe from 3.4/3.8 liter or of its own type?

I'm restoring an authentic MK2 and thus would need to know exactly what they included.

Thanks,
Jyrki from Finland

smiffy

Mk 2 stage 3 tune

Postby smiffy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:15 pm

Dear Jyrki
Hope your restoration is progressing nicely. I'd be interested in what a stage 3 tune involves for a 2.4L Mk 2. I've acquired a set of SU HD6 carburettors and manifold that I'm rebuilding; my plan is to use TL needles and a Cooper air cleaner, and I'm looking for a straight port head. The twin exhaust from the 240 should fit. Not sure what to do about the distributor and camshafts. I'm looking for about 130-135 bhp to offset the power steering upgrade I plan to fit next winter.
Any info on the official Jaguar setup gratefully received.
Best wishes, David

JyrkiLaukaa

Postby JyrkiLaukaa » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:50 am

Dear David,

Project is running slowly but steadily.

Stage three is quite radical tuning and you could achieve 150 bhp/6000 rpm. Here are some picks from the list:

1. B-Type cylinder head assembly (S.D.1051). Stage 2 includes 3/8" hight lift camshafts etc. and I assume that B-Type already have them.
2. With HD6 use inlet manifolds C.12312 (front) and C.123123 (rear). Use needle type T.O
3. Replace distributor with Lucas C.13428
4. Set static ignition to 5deg BTDC
5. Fit Champion NA8 plugs
6. Note: You must fit a twin exhaust system!!

The list of stage 3 items is very long if you plan to do it exactly as Jaguar had planned it to be made. Stages 1/2 include already items for clutch, gearbox, steering and suspension.

Stages seem to be originally planned so that the car can pass certain FIA Category/Group specifications.

Don't hesitate to ask for more details. Cost estimate for this tuning should be around £ 300 - at least in the 1960's.

Good luck with the tuning.
Jyrki

smiffy

XK tuning

Postby smiffy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:52 am

Dear Jyrki
Thanks for this. As you say, my B type head already has 3/8" lift on the camshaft. I suspect that the twin exhaust is a big part of the improvement, as the original single pipe exhaust is quite restrictive. The 240 has an 11% better power output than the 2.4L Mk2, most of which I expect is due to the exhaust and carburettor change - I wonder how much the straight-port cylinder head adds?
Interesting that stage 3 uses a TO needle instead of the TL, as the TO is significantly 'weaker' in the upper end of the taper.
I've blocked off my vacuum retard connection and set the static timing at 7 deg BTDC, which makes my standard 2.4L engine run much better (I'm using unleaded fuel).
Best wishes, David