Accelerator pedal/linkage

Moderators: Aceman, ecosselynx

ChrisDixon

Accelerator pedal/linkage

Postby ChrisDixon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:37 pm

I've always found the organ pedal throttle a bit of a nuisance, there is a lot of slop in it and the linkage it attaches to, and the lever arrangement that connects it to the carbs. Last weekend I looked inside an older Mk2 and saw that it had a vertically hung pedal. Was this original or a mod? Can anyone suggest the parts I'd need to modify, ideally also incorporating improvements all the way to the carbs. Maybe even a cable operated arrangement.

340jag

Re: Accelerator pedal/linkage

Postby 340jag » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:02 am

Early MK2's had the vertically hung pedal !

Take a close look at the linkage , you may be able to see where the movement is , and do something about it !

ChrisDixon

Postby ChrisDixon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:57 am

Early MK2's had the vertically hung pedal !

Take a close look at the linkage , you may be able to see where the movement is , and do something about it !
I had a good look when the carbs were off, and there are numerous rods and levers. Aside from wear in bushes, it seems that the pedal is too low, and there isn't enough leverage in the mechanism so it feels stiff. I did post a separate question about how to set up the linkage. The (organ) pedal itself slops around and can slip off the roller on the rod. So I can either try and overhaul the existing arrangement (are bush kits available?) or try and modify it.

pnegre

Postby pnegre » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Hi,
I see in this -fairly- old post that the Accelerator pedal is an issue not only on my 3.4 MK2 ! Mine is a LHD, but compared to the pedal of my LHD XK150, it is hard and there is no full response of the throttle, when on the XK, revs jump immediately! both cars have the same engine and are LHD so I do not see any reason not to have the same response !! maybe renew the whole linkage, but this seems to mean engine out !?
wait and see any other suggestion !!??

Kind regards

Pascal
30y + member