Fitting a new T5 Gearbox

Moderators: Aceman, ecosselynx

jagman723

Fitting a new T5 Gearbox

Postby jagman723 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:04 pm

I have read some discussions on gearbox upgrades but to date I haven't seen the answer to a question i have.

Having upgraded from Moss box with overdrive many years ago to a 5 speed Getrag, this year on my journey back from Le Mans the Getrag gave up the ghost. I looked around for a replacement and since all others appeared to be ageing used boxes (like the Getrag) I opted to bite the bullet and go for the, admittely pricey, T5. The kit claimed to be complete with everything included for an easy fit. Easy may be just my interpretation!

I have been trying to carry out the upgrade this week and have encountered several problems. So, I am wondering if there's anyone out there that has done this upgrade successfully who can resolve my questions. Please.

Firstly, having got the box in place (almost) there is no way on this earth that it will fit in the existing position. The box is kind of square at the top and is too wide for the opening where the cover should sit inside the car. I am resolved to modify the tunnel and probably make a new cover, but this seems a hell of a task for something that should "fit". There are other issues on the tight fit scenario too. For example it is not yet clear whether any part of the box or its fittings or lugs on the casing will also foul the sides of the tunnel. Plus it looks like it will be impossible to fill/check/top up the oil once in place.

Secondly, I cannot see how to fit the tail support using the bracket supplied. I am given to understand that this should in some way mate to the original rear mounting though there is no clear or obvious way that any holes line up etc. I have enquired of a supplier of the kit and they don't know how its done either!!!

So if there is anyone out there who has already done this conversion and could help me with any advice I would be very grateful.

My problems are confounded by time as currently the car is on a lift and cannot be moved until I can at the very least get the box in and supported.

piman

Re: Fitting a new T5 Gearbox

Postby piman » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:49 pm

Hello Jagman,

that doesn't sound like a 'kit' and described as 'pricey', I would send it back and ask for a refund as it's not fit for purpose. I understand your predicament about the ramp but the other option is a huge amount of fabrication work and then having to redo the interior to accomodate the modifications to the floor pan.
I personally like the overdrive set up but agree the Moss gearbox can be a little tricky. My plan with mine to to fit a reverse interlock so as to prevent selecting reverse when I want first. The other option is the four speed synchromes gearbox of the later models, with overdrive.
I don't know if there are any other five speed kits using a new gearbox available but the one you have seems a non starter, especially as the supplier is clueless?

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I.,2.5 X Type Estate, 564 Hymer Motorhome

suarthardy

Postby suarthardy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi Jagman

I am wondering if there is some difference brought about by the car having previously been converted to a Getrag gearbox?

I am also concerned (but not surprised) that the kit doesn't seem to have come with a complete set of instructions for fitting it.

I bought the Watjag T5 kit for my E-Type and it came with easy to follow instructions and all the parts needed.

Try talking to Ken Jenkins, I'm pretty sure he will have done a few such conversions and was probably instrumental in the development of the Watjag kits.

Good Luck

Regards
Stuart

1962 E-Type FHC
1969 420 Daimler Sovereign
1994 X300 XJR

Tilleyjon

Postby Tilleyjon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:21 pm

Wilkinson's do a kit that is supposed to fit, and they must have used the kits themselves.

Where did the kit come from ?

There is a guy on Jaguar Forums that has the T5 conversion, the rear mount was done poorly by the company that fitted it for him, but he never mentioned problems with the physical size issue.
Jaguar X-Type 3.0 Petrol 2002
MK2 340 1967 Matching Numbers Restoration Project