Rubber gearstick gaiter problem

Moderators: Aceman, ecosselynx

57commuter

Rubber gearstick gaiter problem

Postby 57commuter » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:41 pm

The leather gearstick gaiter on my car was torn and I bought a new one from Aldridge, no problem there but while replacing it, I saw that the rubber gaiter underneath was also split and in need of replacing which should be a simple job except that every supplier I have tried lists only the round rubber gaiter (BD14134) whereas the one I am replacing is most assuredly not round but rectangular.
My car is a 1966 2.4 Mk2 (all synchromesh gearbox).
Does anyone know where I can get the correct rubber gaiter ? All suppliers I have contacted insist that there is but one gaiter (round) for all Moss and Jaguar synchro boxes but on the evidence of my car with original gearbox per build sheet, this is clearly not the case.

piman

Re: Rubber gearstick gaiter problem

Postby piman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:38 am

Hello 57commuter,

I don't know if they can help but their wide experince is as good as any, Classic Motor Cars in Bridgnorth, Shropshire, may be worth a call?
[email protected], +44 (0) 1746 764191.

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I.,2.5 X Type Estate, 564 Hymer Motorhome

Doherto

Postby Doherto » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:26 pm

57Commuter, i have read your post with interest. A while ago I ordeed a new rubber gaier for my 240, which i have not fitted yet as I am not upto that part of my rebuild. However, I did exactly as you did and rang the supplier as soon as i realised that I had a round one supplied and mine was exactly like yours, oblong. My supplier, who is well experianced in his field, laughed and told me that almost everyone who buys a new gaiter rings with the same comment. The round one is apparently the only one available and 'can' be made to fit and over time with heat will mold into the shape you have now. I will watch this thread with interest as I will be at the piont of fitting mine hopefully just after Christmas. Please feed back how you get on.
Tony

57commuter

Postby 57commuter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:17 pm

Thanks Tony.
Must be the old square peg round hole thing !
I can't visualize how this round gaiter can be persuaded to accept the oblong retaining ring but I will give it a go with the application of some warmth and see what we can cobble together.
I will let you know the outcome, we are not wasting much money on the part if it doesn't work and if it's all we can get it has to be tried.
Ray

Ronniebiggs

Postby Ronniebiggs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 pm

All,

Replaced mine (all synchro box) with a round one. No problems at all, although the change felt a bit stiff at first. It does get quite warm in use!

Jay

57commuter

Postby 57commuter » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks Tony and Jay
I have managed to coerce the round gaiter and the oblong retaining ring to come together after a fashion but it is very much a forced fit and I don't care much for the sound of contorted rubber when selecting a gear. Hoping that it will ease off with use and heat. Anyway, it's on and doing the job so thanks again.
Ray