Chrome parts

Moderators: Aceman, ecosselynx

Islander

Chrome parts

Postby Islander » Sat May 11, 2019 3:07 pm

Is it better to re chrome old pitted chrome or replace with new chrome parts? ...From a quality perspective rather than cost or time....my impression is that re chroming the old parts - assuming that the re chroming is done professionally - the end result will be better (better metals used in the past etc)

piman

Re: Chrome parts

Postby piman » Sun May 12, 2019 9:44 am

Hello Islander,

if it's mazak castings then if they are pitted I think that they are pretty much scrap. Pitting would need filling before any polishing and plating is done and I think that it's not a metal that could be welded satisfactorily? If it's steel or brass then yes they can be refurbished.

Alec
Mk 2 3.8 (long term restoration), MK1 Triumph 2.5 P.I.,2.5 X Type Estate, 564 Hymer Motorhome

RichardSEL

Postby RichardSEL » Sun May 12, 2019 5:13 pm

Here's a boot lid light shroud from a Mk IX that I've had up on eBay for the past year or so at a silly price
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-Mk-VI ... 3790239302

It was put into the re-chromers in a really bad state. To be fair, they did try to take out much of the pitting that was on it, but this was the best they could do and it ended up like this. Unless you've got only one or two marks that you can pass off as "patina", it really doesn't pay to try a rescue something that's badly corroded, no matter how keen the re-chromers are. And that mazak is a horrid "metal" :cry:
rear light shroud pitting.jpg
Lens edge on, it doesn't look as bad. But bad it still is :oops:
Gone: '59 Mark I, '56 Mark VIIM, '59 Mark IX, '01 XJ8 Sovereign 4L LWB, '01 XJ8 Sport 3.2L, '01 XJ8 Exec 3.2L
Current: '03 Strange Rover L322
In trim shop for total refurb: '73 Owen Sedanca 4.2L
Stalled in storage '61 Mark IX with 4.2L

Islander

Postby Islander » Tue May 14, 2019 10:01 am

Thank you for your valued feedback. Looks like a lot of mazak was used for the small parts, with the real metal left for the bumpers and front grill. I will re chrome these and the rest I will replace.

Thank you again for your insights. Much appreciated.

Clive

PPV

Postby PPV » Tue May 14, 2019 11:04 am

Hi Clive, for the outside then the mazak items are the door handles, rear number plate plinth, rear light plinths, Jaguar leaper and the boot lock I think. Mazak can be rechromed if not pitted and if the rechromer can polish out the imperfections. Otherwise all other items can be rechromed. Internally there are more mazak items. Talk to a good rechromer as each one has their own view on what they can and cannot do. Also make sure that the rechroming is the full job.
Regards,
Paul V
Mk2 3.8
Mercedes A45 AMG
Mercedes AMG GLC43

poprivet

Postby poprivet » Tue May 14, 2019 11:09 am

Quite interesting looking up Mazac and the various types and problems, especially Zinc Pest.
1988 3.6 XJ-S coupe
'Remember that the value of your investment can plummet as well as fall'

Islander

Postby Islander » Wed May 22, 2019 12:31 am

Hi Clive, for the outside then the mazak items are the door handles, rear number plate plinth, rear light plinths, Jaguar leaper and the boot lock I think. Mazak can be rechromed if not pitted and if the rechromer can polish out the imperfections. Otherwise all other items can be rechromed. Internally there are more mazak items. Talk to a good rechromer as each one has their own view on what they can and cannot do. Also make sure that the rechroming is the full job.
Regards,
Thanks a lot PPV for your insight. It is certainly helpful. My Mazak parts are fairly pitted, so I dare say they have to be replaced. But I will have an expert rechromer have his say first. That said, I will try and keep much of the old parts as I can for value's sake. Thank you for your interest.